Preparing for winter!

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO...I'm sure everyone is preparing for winter? :)

Had a pretty basic question, but wanted to run it by ya'll just to make sure.

I live in the barracks and there is no place for me to plug my truck in, for the heater. I was wondering if I could just purchase a generator, keep it in the bed, and turn it on a while before I need to leave...?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would there be a certain power output I'd have to get?

((the generator I'm looking at is a 5500 Watt (11 HP, i think) Power Boss with 4 plug-ins))

If anyone has advice about this generator idea, please share. It's getting colder and I don't want to be stuck. Friend's willl never let me live it down :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO...I'm sure everyone is preparing for winter? :)

Had a pretty basic question, but wanted to run it by ya'll just to make sure.

I live in the barracks and there is no place for me to plug my truck in, for the heater. I was wondering if I could just purchase a generator, keep it in the bed, and turn it on a while before I need to leave...?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would there be a certain power output I'd have to get?

((the generator I'm looking at is a 5500 Watt (11 HP, i think) Power Boss with 4 plug-ins))

If anyone has advice about this generator idea, please share. It's getting colder and I don't want to be stuck. Friend's willl never let me live it down :D

Yes, you could do the generator thing, but I would think it would be a PIA.. cuz you'd need to go out and start the gen. about 2~3 hours before you leave. (IF.. some thief hadn't ripped it off)

You need a generator that will power 1500 watts.. Sustained. The 5500 watt yer looking at would do the deed.. but IMO, a bit of an Over Kill. a 3000 watt would be more in line.. cheaper too.

Living in Maryland.. In the Winter.. With 2 GOOD batteries.. If you cycled the Glow Plugs.. 2~3 times.. and use some Anti-gel in the fuel.. yer Truck should/would start.. no problem... driving it every day. During a real Cold Snap, or if you hadn't started/ran it for a couple days.... you might need to plug it in, or use the Generator.

:dunno Anyone else ????

Joe

On Edit ? I have a 2800 watt Yamaha.. use it several times to pre-heat my 2K.. works great, quiet too.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike that generator would be so loud they would kick you off of the base because no one could sleep with in half a mile of it. It will cost a little more but get a Honda 2000w or a Yamaha like Joe has that only has about 56 to 59 db's sound. You would for sure have to lock it inside the bed of your truck, and hope it stayed there. I thank what Joe said about two good batteries is the way to go.
Good Luck and Thanks for your service.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I can't see it NEEDING to be plugged in... but I think Joe's got it right, again. Two good batteries, a couple of cycles on the glow plugs (maybe even a fresh set if they're a couple years old) and you should be fine.

I started my truck in -2 weather after not being plugged in last year, when we went down to Joliet overnight.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 good batteries = definitely a necessity. I'm guessing mine are kinda old. If I ever leave my truck for more than a day, it won't start and I have to get it jumped. It'll have juice from the batteries, just not enough to start. And it gets less and less when I crank it. (if I can tell it won't start on the 1st try after sitting for more than a day, I just stop so I don't kill the starter with under 9V. Then I gotta go beg for a jumpstart)

This will be my first winter owning the truck, but from what the previous owner said (from NJ), he always had to have it plugged in because he thought the glow plugs were weak. Personally, I think he had bad battery connections, but i'm not 100% sure that was the only culprit.

That being said, I don't wanna get caught in the snow with a dead truck. Thoughts on my why the truck won't start after a day or two of sitting?

Should I just make sure to start it everyday?

ps. I've also considered installing a killswitch (like they have on ambulances and firetrucks) for the times I know I'm going to be gone for more than a day. Would that solve the drainage issue?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Important to note ?

Most, not all, PSD's come equipped with a 110v Block Heater.. More as an [AID], or [Accessory].. for cold starts... (for faster Cab heat, IMO).

Just because we Have.. or don't Have.. a Block Heater.. Does Not Mean.. our PSD's Will, or Won't start, in the Winter.

A Good, Strong pair of Batteries, of the correct Group, purchased in pairs, with the recommended CCA's (or better)... With Good, Clean, Tight cable connections... and the Glow Plug circuit(s) in good working order.. is the KEY.. to Cold PSD, Winter Starts.

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 good batteries = definitely a necessity. [I'm guessing mine are kinda old.] If I ever leave my truck for more than a day, it won't start and I have to get it jumped. It'll have juice from the batteries, just not enough to start. And it gets less and less when I crank it. (if I can tell it won't start on the 1st try after sitting for more than a day, I just stop so I don't kill the starter with under 9V. Then I gotta go beg for a jumpstart)

This will be my first winter owning the truck, but from what the previous owner said (from NJ), he always had to have it plugged in because he thought the glow plugs were weak. Personally, I think he had bad battery connections, but i'm not 100% sure that was the only culprit.

That being said, I don't wanna get caught in the snow with a dead truck. Thoughts on my why the truck won't start after a day or two of sitting?

Should I just make sure to start it everyday?

ps. I've also considered installing a killswitch (like they have on ambulances and firetrucks) for the times I know I'm going to be gone for more than a day. Would that solve the drainage issue?

A Kill/Master switch to isolate the Batts would work.. but you'd loose all yer pre-sets. yer call though

A pair of New Batts, based on the above, would be the way to go.. IMO.

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about putting a kill switch in for when I start messing with electrical equipment (i.e. pcm/chip). I think losing the pre-sets every other day would be a pain. What about those portable battery back-up? Leave it in the dorm (or wherever is safe) plugged up during the day so it can charge....plug it in to your truck in the morning. My dad use to have one that was the size of a large roll-a-round laptop case. It also has battery posts on it so you could use it as a jump box....quite and cheap.

Just curious, but this is my first winter season with my gauges. I'm use to seeing the trans temp around 120-160 on the warm/hot days. I've recently noticed that the needle is not coming off the 110* mark. Is that normal?...for daily driivng, not towing?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about putting a kill switch in for when I start messing with electrical equipment (i.e. pcm/chip). I think losing the pre-sets every other day would be a pain. What about those portable battery back-up? Leave it in the dorm (or wherever is safe) plugged up during the day so it can charge....plug it in to your truck in the morning. My dad use to have one that was the size of a large roll-a-round laptop case. It also has battery posts on it so you could use it as a jump box....quite and cheap.

Just curious, but this is my first winter season with my gauges. I'm use to seeing the trans temp around 120-160 on the warm/hot days. I've recently noticed that the needle is not coming off the 110* mark. Is that normal?...for daily driivng, not towing?

Compare the cost of a [GOOD] Booster Box to a pair of GOOD batteries.. plus the hassle of pack'n the box back'n forth.. yer back to square one ? New Batteries ?

Jus my .o3 but yer tranny will run a bit cooler, with cooler ambient air flowing thru the cooler(s) (no thermo either). Check the gauge when it's warmed up real good, @ Speed.. or next time you tow... if it don't warm up then... you may have a gauge/wiring/sensor issue..:dunno

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compare the cost of a [GOOD] Booster Box to a pair of GOOD batteries.. plus the hassle of pack'n the box back'n forth.. yer back to square one ? New Batteries ?

Jus my .o3 but yer tranny will run a bit cooler, with cooler ambient air flowing thru the cooler(s) (no thermo either). Check the gauge when it's warmed up real good, @ Speed.. or next time you tow... if it don't warm up then... you may have a gauge/wiring/sensor issue..:dunno

I agree that he needs a good set of batt's with high cca. But if he/anyone was wanting a warm engine block in the morning....just throwing that idea our there as an alternative. I like a warm engine block in the morning so I dont have to wait so long for it to warm up, vs cycling the key a couple of times. I've never had to do that myself on any of my trucks though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58