Price of Ammo!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I've been thinking about looking into doing that. But I know absolutely nothing about it. And then there is the intial investment of equipment.

Any good books or websites on the subject?
I bought a used rock chucker a few years back on Ebay, I dont reload a lot but I have some odd calibers that I like to hand load. I was like you Kent, I had never done it before but I just bit the bullet (pardon the pun) and got myself set up and went after it. Go to you local boomer store and in the reloading section you'll find a number of books, there is one called the handloaders bible. Get it.

Gotta tell you when I chambered my first handlaod and snapped the cap the hairs on the back of my neck were standing at full attention.

But even with reloading it is still an expensive endeavor. Powder, cases, primers, bullets. Its the materials that make ammo so expensive, that and supply vs demand with that lil skirmish going on over in the sand box.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Reloading is fun on it own besides. Mindless tasks that require concentration are good for the soul now and then.

I have a Hornady Lock N Load progressive and it can spit them out pretty quick. It is a great press, it is auto indexing so you can't forget to index and double charge. Also the lock n load makes all of the dies come out with a quarter turn.

There are a few things you have to pay close attention to to be safe and many more to make accurate ammo but it is fun.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Cost of brass and lead have gone up, but I still suspect that there is some sort of special super secret "sin" tax being put on ammo by our wonderful politicians.

A few years back it was openly proposed. Something like a 500% tax on handgun ammo to "discourage criminals from buying ammunition." Or some bullcrap like that.

I think they got shot down in flames, but suspect that a tax was levied anyway. The cost of ammo went up in one day. It was 9 bucksabox one day, then 13 buxabox the next.

I load my own. Saves money, and there hasn't been any increase in cost for recycled brass, I can tell you that. Pick them up after you shoot, next round is brass-cost-free.

1maleyaj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went shooting yesterday, and spend something ridiculous on a box of .40's. I think it was 19 dollars.

Prices have went up a ton over the past two or so years. I dont even bother looking for bullets for my AK47 anymore, it just sits. They used to be like 80 a case, and now you're lucky to even find a case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14