Prices are going up.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our house is heated and cooled by a central air unit. The a/c is run by electricity, and the heat is run by propane. When we first bought propane it was 99 cents a gallon. Today I called and it is $3.21 per gallon. I imagine that you guys that are using diesel for heat are going to be paying through the nose this winter. We also have a fireplace and burn about two cords of wood a winter. Wood here is $250 per cord. So this years heat bills will be about $1,142 which is not that bad for five months. Higher than normal, but everything is higher than normal :lmao
It might be a good idea to buy wood now, before it gets cold and the wood prices go up.

atk

Reaction score
was is that wood made of...gold...$250 for a cord:eek::eek::eek:....wood up here goes from 40-80 a cord, depending on type of wood and what area you are in....my mom use to beable to heat her farm house for about 500-600 a winter. she had a wood furnace that used about 10 cords per season....wood is still the cheapest to heat with, compared to everything else around here....

atk

Reaction score
there could be some money made there...haul some wood down there and sell it....but i am sure there is some loop hole or law that would prohibit that....:dunno...but then again, the cost of fuel would eat up a good chunk of the profit....it would be something to think about though....

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the seasoned Oak was going for $250 here in Redding last year. It might be higher this year. I have heard that Oak is going for $400 plus in the San Francisco area. "Bay area" but I do not know for sure.
People that depend on diesel for heat, are going to be paying much more this year.

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
I bought a house in feb and only bought 75 gallon of fuel for the 275 gallon tank that was empty. i figured fuel might go down a little bit so i waited and now its almost $1 more a gallon. I dont even know how much the cost of wood is. I have a fireplace and a old wood burner in the basement thats going to get used quite a bit this winter.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thought of heating houses makes me glad I stumbled upon a job in FL, Heck my entire electric bill is not $100/mo even with the latest round of price hikes from the utility company.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I imagine that you guys that are using diesel for heat are going to be paying through the nose this winter.
Wrong end I think. We have used around 1,200 gallons of heating oil in the past but hope to cut it to 1,000 gallons with our new boiler. Last I heard heating oil is around $4.30 a gallon here.

I am currently researching pellet stoves for a possible alternative for heating the main living area in the house. A few guys I have talked to have cut there heating oil bill by 60% with a pellet stove while using about 5 tons of pellets a year. 5 tons of pellets cost about $1,100 here but if I could save $2,500 on my heating oil bill the $2,000 stove would be paid for in less than two years. Any thoughts on wood pellet stoves?

I thought about the wood stove route but it did not pencil out. If I cut my own wood out in the bush the Diesel bill for hauling it would cost more than heating with oil. Second option is buying it by the truckload and cutting it in the yard but last year it was $1,400 for a load(approx 10 cord)and who knows what it will cost this year.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
My brother in law has one, and it works great. Computerized, large hopper, feeds itself. The nicer ones even have a front glass so you see the action, although it looks like a blast furnace, not a wood burner. I plan on having one early this fall.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg