Newbie problem with my 6.0 HELP

Dcmyersaz01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First I would like to hi to everyone I have been on your site for some time just like to read all the posts :sweet

Now on to more pressing business I just recently purchased my 05 F350 with the 6.0 great truck until to day. :dunno it just died on my way back from lunch.

let me back up, over the weekend I installed a 4inch turbo back exhaust system the only mod I have so far. So of I had to show off the new sound and looks.
I took it to lunch was fine on the 15min dive in but on the way back I nailed the go pedal and took it to max speed at that point it shut down and now will not restart.:dunno I am past any warranty with 102678 so I have to fix it my self and need help please.

Things I have checked so far.
Engine oil - at the full mark and almost new fliud changed it a week ago.
checked fusees - all good
plenty of fuel over 1/2 tank
checked for DTC - glow plug circuit code for the one entire bank- p0672,74,76,78 (I have a generic code reader)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
1- Try to disconnect the negative battery cables for a few minutes and reconnect to reset the PCM.

2- You need a specialized code reader to check codes on the powerstrokes, although an entire bank of glow plug codes to me would indicate either a wire harness, FICM or PCM problem, but thats just a guess. It's difficult to diagnose without a good scanner... hope this helps

Oh, and thats what happens when you drive fast :cop

Welcome to SDD!:D

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....

did you unplug something and not get it connected back together all the way?
pinched a wire?
HPOP connector/o-ring?(Ford has had some issues with this)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama, Was there not a post on this once before? Thinking it was something to do with unplugging the EGR or something like that so the truck could start? It's been sometime, like 10 or 12 months ago when it was posted.

Zilla 58

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
High Pressure oil pump outlet

First get the code's, your just swimming up stream with out them. If you reset the memory before getting codes out, they will have been erased.
Just had a friend go through the same thing, truck just up and died. Turned out to be the outlet fitting on the HPOP. Ford has a updated replacement now. But its not a recall. His truck had 98k miles and was covered under warenty.
Good Luck

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Bama, Was there not a post on this once before? Thinking it was something to do with unplugging the EGR or something like that so the truck could start? It's been sometime, like 10 or 12 months ago when it was posted.

I can't remember Dogman. :dunno

Dcmyersaz01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
update

Had to take in to the dreaded dealer turns out that Zilla58 was right it was a outlet fitting on HPOP causing the problem should be done by noon tomorrow and only 1k out of the pocket book. :eek: Thanks all for your input.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone subscribed to this thread... I am having sort of the same issue on my 2000 7.3 excursion. I have a whole bank of glow plugs throwing codes, P0678, P0676, P0674 and P0672. Now can someone break down the acronym HPOP for me? Luckily I have a Haynes manual for super dutys, and I am hoping I don't have to drop a G note to get this fixed:dizzy.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HPOP= High Pressure Oil Pump.

On Edit ? there's a list of the acronyms in the wiki/diy ..... cuz there's a Bunch of'm. Might help some ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim