Problems with Auto Enginuity Scanner

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I'm frustrated, but I'll spare you the drama and provide the facts.

I purchased the Autoenginuity scanner (with serial port) from Dennis at ITPDiesel (great service, by the way :sweet ), and tried hooking it up to my truck last night and tonight and have had trouble both nights. I've been on the phone with Jay at AE, but his shop closed up before I could call him back with my next round of questions.

Here's the issues I'm having:
1. None of the On Board Test Results are supported --except EGR-- despite having the enhanced version installed correctly.

2. The Test On Board Systems section does nothing; KOEO, KOER, etc, are all not operating. They do nothing. Waited 10 minutes for the buzz test with no action. Jay told me to cycle the ignition on the truck and try again, but it didn't work.

3. The Live Data Meter, Graph, and Grid's all read 0, and the drop down window menus are all blank. Interestingly, all of these functions worked last night but not tonight.

4. It gives me DTC's: B1201, B1352, B1360, B1869, B2103, P0500, U1262.

5. Each time I start up AE, it auto detects all 467 sensors; according to the instructions, it only does this the first time the vehicle is hooked up.

6. This one is wierd: after having troubles, I shut down AE, started it back up, and it proceeds to auto detect all 467 sensors. The ignition was off. This makes me think it's not really reading the PCM, but rather reading a ghost file or pretend file. :confused:

7. The program tends to make my old laptop crash every 12 minutes or so; could be my laptops fault, but no other programs make it crash.

As for settings, I'm using auto detect on everything, as per the instructions.

Please help.:thanks

Reaction score
After you installed the enhanced version - did it give you a list of vehicles and engines to choose from? Mine didn't the first time. You must select from a drop down list the truck and engine - or none of it will work correctly. And then after that you have to select what series of sensors you want it to show you.

Next - are you using a USB connection of a nine pin cable connection? My laptop will not work with correctly with a USB connection. I guess it's cause I have an old laptop with USB 1 and not 2.

Ron

On edit - try installing the enhanced number they gave you again. I'm trying to remember why mine didn't work the first time - and now I remember having to install that number again for some reason.

Also does your cig lighter work? Your port and lighter are on the same circuit - if the fuse is blown for some reason - just throwing out suggestions here.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Quick ? WHat version are you using?

Are you selecting "Powerstroke" under the initialization type in the Communications Configurations window?
Have you checked out this page on ITP's site?AE Tips

The buzz test will only work on my truck when it's cold. I've only gotten it to work this summer first thing in the morning, in the winter it had to sit a few hours.

Hope you get it figured out!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Quick ? WHat version are you using?

Are you selecting "Powerstroke" under the initialization type in the Communications Configurations window?
Have you checked out this page on ITP's site?AE Tips

The buzz test will only work on my truck when it's cold. I've only gotten it to work this summer first thing in the morning, in the winter it had to sit a few hours.

Hope you get it figured out!

Jay at AE has returned two of my emails tonight (about 9pm and 11pm). It appears that I've got a few issues:

1. I need to select "Ford Powerstroke" on the initialization tab. I didn't do this because the instructions stated this setting is for 96-97 Powerstrokes.

2. My Serial to USB connector may need an updated driver. I purchased the serial adaptor without checking my laptop close enough, and since it doesn't have a serial port, I had to buy a USB to serial adaptor. Yeah, dumb arse. It appears the baud rate may be set too low or may need an updated driver.

Once these issues are corrected, it should work just fine. Gotta give Jay a lot of credit for the great customer service.

I'm running version 4.2.0.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YUK on that usb-serial...ive got a BELKIN one that i use for my GPS and
everytime i use it i have to go into the windows/admin device mgmt
and turn the damm thing back on (enable).

Im having NO problems w/ my USB based AE interface.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
1. Dennis at ITP told me to select "Powerstroke":dunno

2: Why didn't you get the USB cable since you don't have a serial port?:confused: That's what I have and it works great with version 4.2. 4.0 wouldn't pull codes when there were some but 4.2 fixed that. Several people have had issues with serial adaptors before the USB was available from what I've read.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
1. Dennis at ITP told me to select "Powerstroke":dunno

2: Why didn't you get the USB cable since you don't have a serial port?:confused: That's what I have and it works great with version 4.2. 4.0 wouldn't pull codes when there were some but 4.2 fixed that. Several people have had issues with serial adaptors before the USB was available from what I've read.

I got the serial cable because 1) I thought my computer had the IO port (didn't check before ordering) and 2) I need the serial adaptor to run the software on my PDA. Doing this saves me the trouble of lugging the laptop around when out and about--should I have a problem with the truck.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Dennis, dont know how long youve had the serial set up...
maybe he'll let you exchange it or maybe you can offer 'em some
cash w/ the exchange...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58