Programmer / Warranty Issue - Advice Needed

turbocobra

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 F250, bought it in Nov 07. Put a superchips programmer on it when it got 3000 miles. It now has 18,000 miles. Have not had any problems with it at all until recently.

About 4 weeks ago took the truck in for oil and fuel filter change. While it was there they did a flash update based on recall that changes the cluster display to tell you when it is going into regen. I had the tow/performance program when they updated it, and really had no problems.

The last couple of weeks occasionally when trying to start the truck, the starter would have to turn over several more times than usual to fire off.

Today, the truck died while I was on the way to fill it up. It would not start back. Went ahead and filled it up, thinking it I might have gotten a bad tank of fuel. After filling it up, it started, ran for 30 seconds and died. I checked the code and the code said it was a fuel injection flow rate problem.

I called the Ford dealer to get it towed in. The first thing they asked is if I had a programmer. I told them yes, because I knew they would ultimately find out anyway. They advised me to put the stock program in before bringing it in, and they would try to get it covered under warranty, but if Ford determined the problem was caused by having the programmer it would void the warranty.

So I loaded the stock program in, and now it seems to caused some kind of security lockout. When I turn the key over I get a little security light icon on the cluster, and it will not even turn the starter over. The programmer will also now not connect to the ECU.

Obviously I have 2 separate problems, and beleive that the problem with the fuel injector will be covered under warranty, but am curious if the fact that I loaded the original stock program over the top of the Ford Updated stock program caused the security lockout?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2ndPowerstroke

Ford Driver
Reaction score
As far as the security lockout --My 08 is 2300 miles new and so far it has flashed the security icon in the display about 3 different times and it will not turnover etc. -Removed the key and tried again each time it has worked the
2nd time. It goes in for it`s first oil change soon--I was going to ask about the security thing then.

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the rbp programmer no luck with even installing after the pcm reflash by ford i got the programmer reflashed 4 times fords really got us locked out , but i should be expecting the programmer with new software this week haha lets hope it works cuz i been really patient with rbp if not ill take a a grille and a exhaust system in exchange and maybe some other stuff besides that im waitin on my cat/dpf delete kit fro H&S performance whooohooo

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 wouldn’t turn over after I hollowed out the doc&dpf. (I was waiting for my SCT kit in the mail) but screwed my truck up by being impatient. So I played dumb and had it towed to the dealer, all they did was turn the key in the on position and run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. The truck ran, and I drove it home. Nothing was detected, they cleared the codes and sent me on my way. At that point my sct tune was at the house! Just jumper cables!!:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58