PSD Body lift kit vs intercooling

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
hello, i have a 96 350 highboy and i'd like a few more inches of height. i think a 3" body lift would cure the itch but i cannot find any kits due to the intercooling lines. i have 2 questions for any answering machines out there:

1) what is the factory highboy lift? (if i were to get a 3" suspention lift wont i need to get a kit that is 3" higher than the highboy lift?)

2) are there any intercooling kits for a body lift? just upon glancing under my rig all i saw was a few aluminum hoses bolted to the frame... are there more line or can i just get a gas lift kit and fabricate an extension bracket to secure the lines 3" higher?

Any input would be great!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the term "Highboy" died with the late 70's trucks.

There are no "factory highboy powerstrokes".

If your truck is lifted, then it was done aftermarket. Even if the dealer did it, its still an aftermarket lift.

4" is the most common lift I see for the old style powerstrokes. There may be one or two 6" lifts left out there, but dont know for sure.

If your looking for more tire clearance, the usual tactic is to install cutout fenderflares. Very few body lift guys out there.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
arrowstrap said:
i think a 3" body lift would cure the itch but i cannot find any kits due to the inter-cooling lines.

glancing under my rig all i saw was a few aluminum hoses bolted to the frame...

The psd engine was not inter-cooled until 1999. If yours has a intercooler it is aftermarket but I have never seen intercooler lines bolted to the frame :confused: You might be looking at the power steering cooler if it is on the front cross member or at fuel lines if inside the frame rail.

A body lift is really a poor way of achieving lift. Your best bet would be to install a RSK (reverse shackle kit). With the reverse shackle you gain lift and improve the ride at the same time. Check them out at OffRoadUnlimited. or sky-manufacturing. The off road Unlimited on gives you 2.5" of lift and the Sky system offers 3" or 5".

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ditto, I'm a little confused on your intercooler problem here as well. The IC pipes will typically just penetrate the front clip on either side of the radiator and your intercooler will mount in front of the radiator. I've NEVER seen IP pipes run down along the frame on a PSD.

Although I will say I saw some crazy SOB over at another site who mounted an IC in a strange location and modified his hood to accomodate it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:

Although I will say I saw some crazy SOB over at another site who mounted an IC in a strange location and modified his hood to accommodate it.
That was a cool setup :thumbs I saw the pictures :sweet

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
hmmmm, yeah i dont know anything about the intercooling lines, that is just what i'm told when i ask about the body lift kits. I'll look into a RSK. i'll still need to block the rear right? Sorry, i've never atempted a lift before. my previous truck was a 2WD and it disgusted me to think of a lifted 2WD. thanks for the info.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The 99-up trucks do have intercoolers and that is probably what the dealers are talking about. The intercooler lines are hooked to the engine on one end and to the intercooler which is mounted to the body on the other end. When you raise the body but not the engine it would create a whole mess of trouble with them. The 94-97 trucks do not have a intercooler so it is a non-issue.

With the RSK you can either install a add-a-leaf on the rear or leave it stock. Leaving it stock makes for a level truck as from the factory they sit nose-down. Taller blocks than the stock ones are a option although not a good one. Blocks any taller than the stock ones make for excessive axle wrap. Add-a-leaf or replacement springs are the best option.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I have a body lift on my 97.

You don't have a intercooler and the install is pretty easy. Any of the body lift for 92-97 Ford Trucks will work ;)

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
ok, so you have a diesel and a body lift?! IT CAN BE DONE! i think i'd like to get a small body lift to keep me quenched till i can research and afford a RSK lift.
so... i guess i'll just ignore the body lift warning that says "Not for desiel equipped engines" ?:confused:
you got any photos of that body lift?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58