PSD with the easy life

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it makes a difference in how many problems on a PSD if say the Superduty is owned by someone who lives in Florida and the PSD never sees the temperature drastically change as opposed to someone living in Minnesota? Would that affect how many problems some vehicles have or have had in the trucks lifetime?

Would you get a better PSD when buying used if it came from a warm climate?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are just blowing smoke; No it does not matter. What matters is the care the truck has been given by the past owner.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to go with you on this Smoky. Colder climates usually means salted roads which is not good for metal or electrical components. Would colder climate also mean harder starts..and would that be rougher on the injectors.

dale7637

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have got to disagree. We run a fleet of 10-15 fords, and it does not matter. We are in northern alberta, so we see everything from -40c to +30c. Some of the trucks are excellent, some are turds. It all comes down to who is driving and caring for the truck, as well as the truck itself. We have had trucks that from day one were garbage. We have had trucks that made 250,000 kms and never gave any trouble. It is a crapshoot.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have got to disagree. We run a fleet of 10-15 fords, and it does not matter. We are in northern alberta, so we see everything from -40c to +30c. Some of the trucks are excellent, some are turds. It all comes down to who is driving and caring for the truck, as well as the truck itself. We have had trucks that from day one were garbage. We have had trucks that made 250,000 kms and never gave any trouble. It is a crapshoot.

I wouldn't expect any diesel to have to major of an issue in 155,000 miles (Does the odometer have km on it). How have your injectors been holding up? And which one of your trucks has the most miles? I have a 96 F250 psd with about 575,000 miles on it and is just now needing new injectors. Not all of them HAVE to be replaced but its best to do that while you're in there. The weather it has been used in has been 110* summers to 10* winters. I'm more concerned about the long term affects of that kind of weather....like past 450,000 milese (724,204kms). How does the frame look? Wires? Are the roads salted? Etc.. Not cracking on you because I wouldnt know personally about the affects of cold enviroment on a PSD. Thanks for the input.

dale7637

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have to give you credit for having a truck with that kind of mileage on it. We have never had a truck last much longer than 250,000kms. It seems that after that these trucks literally seem to fall apart. We run into injector troubles, broken leaf springs, transmissions and transfer cases puking, head problems, rear end problems, and front end problems. These trucks just dont seem to be made to last anymore. We have just found that a 1/4 million kms seems to be the magical number to dump these things. But like i said some seem to be fine until this point, others are junk from go. FWIW.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the weather has much of an affect on them. Its how a truck is maintained and operated that has the most affect. Yes the salt is hard on stuff but the key is wash wash wash, in the salt belt a clean truck is a happy truck for long time. My G/F's dad has a 97 F-350 psd that he bought new and now has 300K on it and has spent its whole life in michigan, this truck is so f***ing clean its not funny. I did not believe the miles and the fact it had no rust when she told me but when i seen it my jaw hit the floor......its nice. He takes the best care of it and it shows

I might just have to marry her and maybe the truck could be mine someday:sly

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apples to apples- a truck from the south (warm climate) will be in better condition than one from the north. So if maintenance is equal, I'd buy a southern truck every time - in fact that's what I did. Salt is only half of the story, the extreme cold is hard on engines. An engine experiences most of its wear on cold start, in other words the warmer an engine is when you start it, the less wear it accumulates. The cold isn't only hard on the engine, its hard on the whole damn truck. If you are buying used - get a low mileage southern truck over a northern one.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford tests their trucks in all climates from the brutally hot to below freezing temps so i will have to disagree. As for the body, any region that uses salt in the winter to melt ice and snow will rot your truck if u don't clean it

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to give you credit for having a truck with that kind of mileage on it. We have never had a truck last much longer than 250,000kms. It seems that after that these trucks literally seem to fall apart. We run into injector troubles, broken leaf springs, transmissions and transfer cases puking, head problems, rear end problems, and front end problems. These trucks just dont seem to be made to last anymore. We have just found that a 1/4 million kms seems to be the magical number to dump these things. But like i said some seem to be fine until this point, others are junk from go. FWIW.

Hate to hear thats as much use that you get out of them. Thats a real low number for these trucks usually. But then again, they usually arent in cold climate like yours and last MUCH longer. And that a LOT of stuff to go out in a PSD young life. (Is anyone else reading this or just me). With you running a fleet, I assume you keep the lubes chainged regulalry?

So pretty much if it lives in the colder climate areas you have to keep a tighter cleaning schedule and check on it, which most people dont do. So with not personally knowing the person you're buying the truck from and how well they maintained the vehicle, I will stick with a southern raised tuck. And having to keep a check on it more closely is not as "easy" as a truck from the south. They may test them everywhere, but how long do the test last and what are the results after 400,000 miles. Did the truck in the cold have problems before/after the truck in the south? I'm sure any truck could last the most extreme temp climates for 50,000 miles, or however much they test them. I think the main point is which one will out last the other with the same treatment. They tested the 6.0 before it came out and looked what happened not too long after they were put on the market. Hope the Scorpion makes as good a name for itself as the 7.3 becuase if it does its going to be a BEAST. But gotta take that "global warming" crap off and make it sound like a diesel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14