puffin like a chiminy

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey every one , I have a few questions that I hope some people might be able to help me with . I have a 97 f250 7.3L with 350000kms & I live in alberta canada , now we are getting into the minus weather , when I start my truck up it blows a big puff of blue smoke & will blow smoke for about 15 min or untill warmed up . It only does it from the first start of the day . The truck sits most of the time as I also have a little 4cyl puddle jumper as my daily driver . My questions are is this normal ? What does this mean? What causes this ? & is there an additive I can add or somthing I can fix to stop this ? I understand diesels will smoke & maybe its just my imagination but I feel it smokes quite a bit & I don't think my neibours are extreamly thrilled ???? Thanx for any & all help & advice from every one

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;) With 350,000 on a 12+ year old 7.3.. I'd be Pure Proud the 'ol boy fires up.. on a Cooold Canada morning :D:)

You may have a Glow Plug Relay getting weak, and maybe a Glow Plug or two also.

The blue smoke could be from a couple of injector O rings leaking some oil, after sitting for awhile.

Does plugging in the block heater make any difference ??

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanx bigjoe , I'm grean to diesels , how would I determin if it actually is the glow plug relay or glowplugs ? & the injectors ? Are they the same to remove & install as a gas job ? Thanx again

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanx bigjoe , I'm grean to diesels , how would I determin if it actually is the glow plug relay or glowplugs ? & the injectors ? Are they the same to remove & install as a gas job ? Thanx again

They are similar to check and replace, but there are several easy tests you can do first.. to check both the GP relay, and GP's individually.

At the top right of this page yul see... SDD Technical Articles WIKI.. poke that and browse the DIY's for Glow Plug related testing & fixes

Same for Injector related issues.

;tu

Joe

vanguy67

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the glow plug relay (solenoid) on my '96. I found a 12 volt 100 amp solenoid at Grainger. The posts are a little tall but the cover is plastic so no shorting issues there. I paid $35.77 for it including the tax. Truck starts right up now with no smoke.

Can't comment on how long it will last but it IS less expensive than some I read about with bad reviews! So far... so good.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
check the fuel filter. is it dark with oil? pull it up out of the fuel bowl and scrape a filter fin with your fingernail and see if you pick up a gob of oil. if so, your O-rings are leaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14