Puking Coolant

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Posted this on some other boards and no response.

What does the term "Puking Coolant" refer to??

I pick up my truck yesterday for the recalls and another long list of repairs. They replaced the sensor on the turbo that was bad. I do notice more power, but now, I am blowing coolant out of the overflow bottle. Is this normal?? If not, what is the cause?? I have had this before, but never this bad. :dunno

The truck is an 04 with the auto trans. Stock except for exhaust. Thanks guys!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks like your truck is puking coolant to me. It is caused by an overheating condition. Keep an eye on it and take it back if it gets worse or does not stop soon. This is not normal.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's when the system overheats the coolant too quickly and it "pukes" out of the degas (overflow) bottle cap...

at least that's MY definition of it...

some have replaced the cap - some have just tightened the cap - but that's Ford's stop gap.... not the real issue...

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It has been doing it since day one, but since the last repair, it is really pouring out. Never had an issue with over heating...according to the idiot gauge. People seem to be saying head gasket...??

FordDieselDog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
NFA Fun said:
People seem to be saying head gasket...??

In my experience it is the head gasket. Why? Try this link

My 2005 buyback had this problem (along with numerous others).

First, I would suggest lowering the coolant level to the minimum mark when completely cool. I noticed when towing an enormous load up a 7% grade, the expelled coolant raises the level from the minimum mark to the maximum mark; obviously it would have overflowed if I had started at the maximum mark. I don’t think Ford (Navistar) made the coolant container big enough.

Second, in my experience, [some] 6.0L cannot withstand the considerable head pressure generated under full torque at 3200 to 3700 RPM. I heard theories that include, wrong head bolts, defective gasket material, manufacturing errors, and poor design. The engine was not designed to blow coolant, and if yours does, you have a problem.

Finally, I would suggest there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of trucks with this problem, and most will never know it. My 2005 buyback was a great truck unloaded and even better fully loaded while pulling on level ground. However, add a grade and automatic transmission (which is programmed to shift petty high), and the failures tend to emerge.

FMC is aware of the problem and it is costly for FMC to repair.

Good luck.

Owen

That's my first name.....
Reaction score
FordDieselDog, Well said!!! Mine runs pretty good unloaded to loaded on LEVEL ground only!! Put a hill in front and Toyota Tacoma's with V6's pulling trailers will pass me!!!

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FDD, thanks for the info...really helped out!!! I spoke with the service advisor last night and he said "it does not sound good...I will be honest with you, we have had quite a few in for head problems." He even told me they just finished up an 05 with 2500 miles on it last Thursday and ended up putting in a new engine. I am going to try to take my in on Wednesday and they are going to pressure test the engine and check the coolant for hydrocarbons.

edsf460

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
NFA Fun said:
Posted this on some other boards and no response.

What does the term "Puking Coolant" refer to??

I pick up my truck yesterday for the recalls and another long list of repairs. They replaced the sensor on the turbo that was bad. I do notice more power, but now, I am blowing coolant out of the overflow bottle. Is this normal?? If not, what is the cause?? I have had this before, but never this bad. :dunno

The truck is an 04 with the auto trans. Stock except for exhaust. Thanks guys!

Just got back from the dealer fri My 05 350 4x4 doing the same thing and is getting progessivly worst they tell me It is a blow head gasket my is going in next week to get repaired thier 6.0 mechanic is on vaca. good luck with yours

FordDieselDog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
edsf460 said:
...going in next week to get repaired...

The repair procedure is exceedingly invasive. I would suggest having a conversation with your service advisor, and completely document the condition of your truck before work is done. Ford really shoe-horned the 6.0L into the engine compartment, and it is really easy to damage the electrical.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FDD - that's actually good advice for EVERY time you give your vehicle to ANYONE....
can't tell you the number of times that when I got mine back some new "feature" has been added to my car :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14