Pump problems

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
So the other day I was heading down from Fargo to Dodge City Kansas. Made it to Souix Falls SD noticed a crapload of oil on the ground under my truck when I stopped for fuel. Checked the oil was about a gallon short got a gallon put in and bought 2 more. Ended up running 2 gallons of oil though it in about 800 miles. The leak was coming from the front top of the of the motor by the hp oil pump. Thought it was just a blown seal but took in in today and found out the pump is shot they said the pump is over $800 and a 5 hour job. Dang what makes these pumps so special? Does that seem like a fair price?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get aftermarket performance pumps for around 500 like the terminator 5 hr job not quite I could easily do it in the driveway in around 3.

Edit: looks like it's 500 for the mod but 600 for a new alliant pump

Last edited:

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
Pump shot????????

If you were still running and just losing oil - ( i lost 2 gallons every 25 miles when my seals went out) you just need a re-seal. check out dieselsite.com for a complete kit.:sweet

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I don't know I am out in the boondocks for work right now otherwise I would have been able to shop around and put it in my self but we are working 11hr days out in the middle of Kansas and I don't have my tools with me. The pump was pumping just fine but he said the treads on the pump where all stripped up and stuff. He wasn't a diesel mechanic just a small shop but it was all I could find on the short notice I needed to fix it in. I will have to get the oil changed again I went to leave and checked the oil it was way high on the stick like 4" too high so I had to go to wal-mart buy an oil pan and drain out a gallon in the dark in the wal-mart parking lot. The oil that came out was black. so I think he pulled the filter, put in a new one and added the recommended oil volume and never checked it. So I will have to have the oil changed AGAIN because I don't even know what type he used in the first place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58