putting the pieces together

robtoya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been doing the research for some mods on my 2002 7.3 dually 4x4 with 122000 miles. After reading all of the great info/advice on this site, I've concluded that there are three to four main areas to address: exhaust, intake, tuning, and transmission, along with appropriate gauges. With a $2000 budget, I've tried to piece together a nice package of parts for a total amount of $1500. As this is my first diesel (bought it used with 117000), I'm not aware of the track record of any of these parts and/or the nuances, if any, that come with each brand, etc. Here is what I have pieced together; Exhaust...mbrp 4" turbo back system in stainless steel, Intake...afe stage 2 or jobe performance intake, Tuner...edge juice with attitude monitor(instead of all the gauges?), Transmission...bullydog shift improvement kit. I can get all this for $1500 before shipping...is this a good deal and are these parts/brands good? Any info will be greatly appreciated and please don't hesitate to offer any suggestions as I am a true diesel rookie...besides...it's always fun spending other people's money. Thanks again.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
robtoya said:
I've been doing the research for some mods on my 2002 7.3 dually 4x4 with 122000 miles. After reading all of the great info/advice on this site, I've concluded that there are three to four main areas to address: exhaust, intake, tuning, and transmission, along with appropriate gauges. With a $2000 budget, I've tried to piece together a nice package of parts for a total amount of $1500. As this is my first diesel (bought it used with 117000), I'm not aware of the track record of any of these parts and/or the nuances, if any, that come with each brand, etc. Here is what I have pieced together; Exhaust...mbrp 4" turbo back system in stainless steel, Intake...afe stage 2 or jobe performance intake, Tuner...edge juice with attitude monitor(instead of all the gauges?), Transmission...bullydog shift improvement kit. I can get all this for $1500 before shipping...is this a good deal and are these parts/brands good? Any info will be greatly appreciated and please don't hesitate to offer any suggestions as I am a true diesel rookie...besides...it's always fun spending other people's money. Thanks again.

You can't go wrong with stainless exhaust and I've personally put a MBRB on a 2002 7.3 (Dad's) and there were no fitment problems. When you get ready to install it post a thread on it as I have helped put around 10 4" exhausts and there are some tricks to it. I have the AFE stage II and I love it. It makes quite a bit more noise than a stock setup but if you don't mind Darth Vader breathing noises and sounds from the wastegate at every shift then youll love it because it works well. Order a filter cleaning kit when you purchase it so you won't have to pay for shipping twice like I did. I have the blue less expensive filter on my truck. The blue has been said to be OK in nondusty climates and the progaurd GOLD filter is the preferred choice. I don't know anything about the edge products so you'll have to go by research and feedback from others who have it. My dad and I chose the SCMT for code reading and clearing ability and we both love it. There is a thread on this site about the bullydog transmission mod and most of us beleive it is the same as the sonnax/tric mod. But there is a question about the drill bit included in the kit. Find that thread and and you'll learn a little more. I have put in many sonnax kits and everyone who has them likes them and the $50 shipped price from www.blackclouddiesel.com is hard to beat. Be sure you post more and let us know how it all goes. Besides the $1500 dollars there are other mods that are cheap or free that make big improvements like, the ZOODAD, AIH DELETE, and shimming the fuel pump regulator. Hope this helps Budro :cool: :sweet

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
robtoya said:
Here is what I have pieced together; Exhaust...mbrp 4" turbo back system in stainless steel, Intake...afe stage 2 or jobe performance intake, Tuner...edge juice with attitude monitor(instead of all the gauges?), Transmission...bullydog shift improvement kit.

Well I like my SS MBRP 4" turbo back! :sweet It's not too loud for me, I'm eventually going to get the muffler delete pipe. :D Only complaint I had was with my 6spd, the downpipe hit on the starter ear of the bellhousing. Nothing a BFH wouldn't fix, I didn't sweat it.

The Edge J/A monitor doesn't have a tranny temp gauge so you'll have to get that. Also, the J/A only modifies the ICP signal read by the PCM. The Evolution from Edge is what really gives these things a kick. :roflmao The two stacked sure makes for one heckuva a system!

Only tranny mod I had to do was the clutch. :p Can't help you with the auto stuff.

Somebody has PMS! :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14