pyro guage install

altered

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O.k guys I need some advice. I have an 02 7.3 and I am about to install a new exhaust ( silverline turbo back) a triple guage pillar pod ( with the normal diesel setup) a s&b intake, and the sct programmer. All of this I have sounds pretty easy but I'm getting mixed info on where to install the pyro probe (egt). I have been told by some to install it in the down pipe ( which sounds like it would be very easy to do before I install the new exhaust), and I have been told by others to install it in the exhaust manifold before it hits the piping going up to the turbo ( which sounds like it would be more accurate but a higher temp) My question is where and then at that location what temps can I expect in the normal zone and then what is high?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most here install the probe in the exhaust manifold. Mine is on the bottom of the drivers side manifold. It is an easy drill and tap operation. As easy as the exhaust pipe install without the headaches of sealing the pipe - probe. I used a 1/4 pipe tap and I was done.

Dave :)

altered

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, for those that installed it in the manifold, how did you get the shavings out ( magnet, vacuum, turn the truck on and blow them out, take the manifold off?) what temps are normal / high?

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
take it slow with the tap in and out and you will get little or nothing inside the manifold and then hit with a vac your good to go if you rush it you can break the tap thats a royal pain in the axx ask how I know BTDT!

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most here install the probe in the exhaust manifold. Mine is on the bottom of the drivers side manifold. It is an easy drill and tap operation. As easy as the exhaust pipe install without the headaches of sealing the pipe - probe. I used a 1/4 pipe tap and I was done.

x2

I drilled mine at the manifold with the engine running and no problems. You can make the egt's hit about high as you want. But about 1200* is as high as you want to go for a length of time. The post turbo wont be accurate enough to do you any good IMO.

dpantazis

Reaction score
dont bother with oil or lube when you drill and tap. just do it SLOW.

the manifold is cast iron- the graphite in the metal matrix will serve as lube.

cast iron will turn to grit as you drill and then tap it. just take it slow.

you can use a vacuum to suck it up so as to not get in your eyes.

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the metal shavings/grit going through the turbo but I guess thats not really a problem?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the metal shavings/grit going through the turbo but I guess thats not really a problem?

I was worried about the same thing but everuthing is cool. I think the idea behind drilling it with the truck running is to help blow the shavings OUT as you drill. The drill bit itself is designed to "conveyer" the shavings out. Some ppl say to start with a smaller bit then go up in size...but I just used a bullet bit. I just wore some safety glasses to keep the shavings out of my eyes.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The shavings are not a problem. They are removed as you drill and what little bits that are left get blown out when it is started. No Problem!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14