Question Pyro: tap manifold or pipe?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm all set to drill /tap my pyro. From the bottom I can reach the exhaust manifold (sort of rusty) and the exhaust up-pipe (surprisingly clean). Is one better than the other? Only a couple of inches difference. Nice picture from Diesel Manor here that explains the choice -- and recommends the manifold I guess.

Opinions please! :D

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
On my 6.0, it's at the back part of the manifold.

x3
the cast iron will drill very easy

its a soft metal start with a small SHARP bit at low speed
then move up to half the needed size and drill slow again
then the final size slow

shop vac the manifold
then tap it out, tap it slow only go a few threads then back it out to remove the burrs

its a piece of cake ;tu

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bama, Stroked350, Powerboatr & DaveBen :D :hail. Manifold it is!:sweet

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok -- finally got 'er done. This has been dragging along way too long. Fortunately it rained this afternoon or I'd have been planting trees etc. Got coolant temp hooked up too. The tapping was pretty easy, though the cheap chinese tap I used looks like it may not be good for another hole!!

The Performax gauges' main pain is getting the wires into their 'insulation displacement' terminals. This time they provided a little tool to squash into the wires but it wasn't much help up with the limited space on the A-pillar....I shoulda left more spare wire than I did although I thought at the time I was leaving plenty.

Went for a run, surprised how fast the Pyro moves up & down (350 idle/900 as I ran it at 3k for a mile). Max boost is 18 (need to adjust my turbomaster wastegate actuator if I want more), coolant temp was around 195-200 (outlet side of bypass filter), and tranny never hit 150 tonight (cool 70 evening). Numbers seem reasonable?

Time to update the signature! Thanks again for the advice. ;tu

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58