pyrometer,do i have to tap it?will it thread in?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive got a new pronlem now.i got the hole drilled and tapped.have thermocouple all installed an ran into the cab.so before i hook all the wires up for good,i just do a quick connect to make sure everything works.so when i hook the 12v to the gauge it shoots up to 150 and stays there,truck running or not.whats going on?everything is hooked up right,i quadruple checked.but if i dont have the thermocouple wires hooked up,just the power and ground,i can touch the temperature posts on the back of the gauge and it rises alittle bit because the heat of my fingertips,so it seems like the gauge is working.then as soon as i hook up the thermocouple wires it shoots back up to 150.anybody know whats goin on?:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere, look for pinched or skinned wires.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt the gauge already grounded at the thermocouple? where it taps into the head?so the power wire from the gaug,do i put power all the time on it,or just power with key on.i have been using the fuse block to supply power to it,i tap into either the radio-] fuse,which is power with key on,then i tried the power outlet fuse,which is power all the time.i can visiby see the power wire,it runs to the guage to the fuse block,theres no damage to it.could the temp wires causse this prob if they were damaged from being pulled through the firewall.all help is welcome,i really hope this is a good gauge.:( also,what if the thermocouple wires ,the steel sleeve over it is touching metal somewhere,would that do it?

Last edited:

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autometer, i found out its workin now,couple days of experimenting,its workin,thanks for all the help.:sweet im idling around 250,sound about right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14