pyrometer

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am finaly thinking of programing my truck. Pyrometer should be coming in the mail any day now. Were should I put the probe, and how hot is to hot?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought; before the turbo and after the turbo. I have mine on the exhaust manifold coming out of the motor. 1200° is considered the high point, but you can exceed it for a short time. Just remember aluminum starts to melt at 1240° F. I know of people who have run 1300° for a short time without damage. You have been warned, so be careful.

Dave :)

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How do I drill a hole in the manifold without getting metal bits in? My fear would be shavings running through the turbo.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Drill the hole and then vacuum it out. The chips are very small and not going 10,000 mph when you start it up. Just don't floor it for a few minutes. You will be OK.

Dave :)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
1. Drill the hole in the bottom of the manifold. Wear eye protection. Gravity will be on your side for the chips. Start with a small bit and work up to keep the chips small.
2. Tap the threads. You can grease the tap (and the drill bits for that matter) to catch most of the chips. Then run a little magnet in the hole to grab the rest.
3. Please don't run chips through the turbo. Seriously ;)

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled mine after the turbo according the instructions that came with my gauges. Here's the video I used. It's from glowshift, even if you don't have their gauges the install on the pyrometer is basically the same
Will there be an inaccurate reading if it's drilled afterthe turbo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbWh1HYAF-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After drilling it out i used a magnet with a paper clip with a L shape on the end clip taped to the magnet run in the hole to remove any steel then tap the hole going only half way with the tap so you do not over size the hole, do not use grease. (the steel is soft so be carefull) Take is slow.

3-Gauge Install Pictures
2 stroker

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be accurate for reading where it is, but will be quite a bit cooler than pre-turbo.

I guess inaccurate is the wrong word ha ha. But I am reading a cooler temp than pre turbo, should I be monitoring the pre turbo temps instead? My temp doesnt go over 700 as it is. I don't want it misread while I'm running temps closer to 1200 without me knowing.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess inaccurate is the wrong word ha ha. But I am reading a cooler temp than pre turbo, should I be monitoring the pre turbo temps instead? My temp doesnt go over 700 as it is. I don't want it misread while I'm running temps closer to 1200 without me knowing.

800-850* post turbo is about the most you ever want to see. It's right around 400* less post turbo than pre turbo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58