Question about 2004 PSD

Jspafford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went last night and test drove a 2004 F-250 Ext Cab, Short bed 4x4 with the 6.0L and the Torqshift.

It only had 23K on it and I was not happy with it at all.. Let me say I have never driven a ford diesel, but I was under the impression they were pretty powerful. When I pulled out of the dealership I almost got rearended. I damn near had to put it to the floor to make the thing move.. Then the tranny hung in 2nd gear and I had to manually shift it with the gearshift.

Just seems to me it was very slow off the line. Heck, I think my 5.4L would blow it away from a stop.. Well at least this particular truck.. I am looking for a good explination of why this truck would have performed so bad, or maybe I will stick with my V-8.

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Stands to reason that a gasser will leave the line quicker than a diesel. Fish on!

Jspafford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am drawing a blank on what that means? I know I have heard people who went to the strip and had really good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, much better than a gasser.

I really want a diesel, but if it is going to be slow then I will stick with what I got. Please advise.

LCW

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Jspafford said:
Sorry I am drawing a blank on what that means? I know I have heard people who went to the strip and had really good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, much better than a gasser.

I really want a diesel, but if it is going to be slow then I will stick with what I got. Please advise.

Put it this way, if I personally were to build a 1/4 mile truck, it wouldn't be a diesel. If I wanted a truck that'll tow my 12,000 lb trailer up hills like it wasn't there, I would (and did) buy a diesel.

I've seen at least one diesel putting down impressive times at the drag strip, but that guy sells diesel performance mods. I know chipping can have a dramatic effect on performance. I guess I just don't see the point in juicing up a heavy truck for 1/4 mile times. For me, it's a tow truck to get my toys to the playground. But it's up to you where you pour your money, long as you enjoy it :sweet

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
LCW said:
Put it this way, if I personally were to build a 1/4 mile truck, it wouldn't be a diesel. If I wanted a truck that'll tow my 12,000 lb trailer up hills like it wasn't there, I would (and did) buy a diesel.

I've seen at least one diesel putting down impressive times at the drag strip, but that guy sells diesel performance mods. I know chipping can have a dramatic effect on performance. I guess I just don't see the point in juicing up a heavy truck for 1/4 mile times. For me, it's a tow truck to get my toys to the playground. But it's up to you where you pour your money, long as you enjoy it :sweet

I see your point, but... you can get 900 horse and 1600 ftlbs out of a Dodge diesel (I hate to say that on this site, but it's the only one I've heard about!!:sorry ) In my book that's hot, super hot! I'd race any 12 to 13 second drag car with that truck...and probably win!!! Why have other toys when you can have it all in one. A hauler that can smoke the doors off anything on the road. I like that idea.:thumbs

Reaction score
Jspafford said:

Sure you can do it - it just doesn't come that way.

New to diesels though, so here - Diesels are not designed to race - they are designed to work. And they do that very well. They will work circles around a gasser. Two things about pulling into traffic - one, the truck most likely was not up to operating temps - let them warm up and they are good to go - Two - you have a turbo that needs to build up boost. Next time ease into it for a second and then nail it.

I have driven the 5.4 SD's - a stock 6.0 will take them everytime. If you are interested in buying this truck - have the dealer (Ford) run an Oasis check on it to make sure it has had all the recall's done to make sure that it is running up to par.

Now if you really want to wake the diesel up, run rings around the gassers and get impressive 1/4 mile times - you simply add a box or programmer. Then of course you will need to budget for the new tires that you keep on smoking :sweet

Although a diesel may not be right for everyone - if you got questions or concerns - keep asking them here - we want to help you make the right choice.

Ron

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jspafford said:
It only had 23K on it and I was not happy with it at all.. Let me say I have never driven a ford diesel, but I was under the impression they were pretty powerful. When I pulled out of the dealership I almost got rearended. I damn near had to put it to the floor to make the thing move.. Then the tranny hung in 2nd gear and I had to manually shift it with the gearshift.

I hear this frequently and something must be wrong with the truck and/or the driver's expectations. How did it do after you tried nailing it and getting the revs up above 2200? Sounds like something was definitely wrong with the tranny.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just making an assumption here, but I assume you got in, started it up and left? These things do not run there best with a cold motor and cold transmittion especially in the winter. I would assume that had something to do with it.

FWIW

Barrett

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Jspafford said:
I went last night and test drove a 2004 F-250 Ext Cab, Short bed 4x4 with the 6.0L and the Torqshift.

Just seems to me it was very slow off the line. Heck, I think my 5.4L would blow it away from a stop.. Well at least this particular truck.. I am looking for a good explination of why this truck would have performed so bad, or maybe I will stick with my V-8.
sounds like somethings wrong :confused: my 6.0 would blow the doors off of any 5.4L or 6.8L, and probably a 5.4 when it was stock

something seems fishy here, somethings wrong, try a different truck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg