Question about CCV mod.

NEokcTERROR

BREAKING STUFF !!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I have been reading for the past few days some of the mods on this site. I was wondering why the CCV mods I have seen go straight into the exhaust without a check valve such as MOROSO's: http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/25900_part.jpg ?

I have a background in building Fast street cars, and by fast I mean up to 7 second 1/4 mile and slower cars. This system works excellent in mid range powered fast cars. It doesn't produce as much negative crankcase pressure as a vacuum pump system but it will pull a considerable negative atmosphere condition which reduces crankcase windage and increases horsepower. In a diesel application I don't even know if a vacuum in the crankcase will help power in a sub 4,000 RPM engine.

I had the intercooler replaced twice in my '99 PSD CC DRW under warranty for the oil buildup in it because 1. I know people in the service dept. & 2. I drove them around in it with my OTC Genysis on it and showed them the IAT temp before and after the replacement. 3. I told them how my business spends an average $3,000 monthly in the parts dept. I think the last one is what got it done. On a super hot day it could change it 30 degrees F* with the new intercooler on my max tune. I am not kidding you could feel the difference seat of the pants and the G-tech on instant G data proved it.

QUESTIONS:???????????????????????????????????????

Does anyone know if the diesel impregnated oil from our trucks will damage the diaphram in these MOROSO style check valves? Also if any of you pull an enclosed trailer with the CCV ran to the exhaust do you get any oil residue on your trailer. I am going to do the mod I just haven't decided which way to do it yet. My truck has scmt 1705, 4"down and magnaflow stainless 4" exhaust. I was thinking of putting the CCV tube behind the muffler so I don't (over time) get the bottom of the muffler full of oil, park on a steep hill and exxon valdese the spot behind my TP on start-up.

Thanks for all your help and thanks, SDD,
Bo

Last edited:

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
I still haven't run it to the exhaust cause I haven't had any oil dripping and I've put over 1000 miles since the mod. I smell and see it intermitently at idle, but that's it. This may sound stupid, but do you think there may be an issue because of no oil? I also see an increase of vapor smoke coming out of the dipstick tube, but no real oil spray.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Mines been in the exhaust since last summer. Why would you want to put a valve in the line? The engine has a positive pressure and the stock ccv has a venturi effect plumbed into the intake and with the pipe that comes with the dynatech system it must have the same venturi effect. I have a tee in the low spot in my line with a 2 inch piece of tube capped off to catch any oil that gets that far. So far only a tablespoon of oil and a little water.

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
I will be doing the CCV mod next month when I put the MBRP on, and I plan on using an exhaust evacuation kit similar to the Moroso. The exhaust must have a venturi effect and pull vaccum on the CCV due to the design of the weld-in nipple. I will place mine low in the down pipe, or just after. The exhaust should be hot enough at this point to burn the oil mist without any liquid build up in the exhaust or muffler.

NEokcTERROR

Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
Why would you want to put a valve in the line?

On a racing application the exhaust pulse moves the valve and creates suction. This may not even work in the same manner on an application where the valve would be so far away from the enigne. And should you put the CCV in the exhaust ahead of a muffler that causes a restriction in the exhaust you could pressurize the crankcase with exhaust increasing the possibility of oil leaks not to mention pushing oil past the rings into the cylinders which probably wouldn't happen on the type of ring seal these enignes have. However at very high mileage the ring gap has to increase opening an area where crankcase pressure could push oil into the cylinders.

Last edited:

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
I did not think of a muffler creating backpressure, because so many of them are a straight through design. If you still run the stock muffler, or one of similar construction the nipple would probably be better placed after the muffler.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Are there pulses in a turbo charged system? I might hook up a gauge to the exhaust and then the ccv to see if there are neg. and pos. pressures.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would'nt think so

I Dont really think that putting the CCV mod anywear on the exhaust would creat any type of back pressure on the Crank case, My thinking is that a Engine is an air pump, if it runs there has to be vacum on the exhaust pipe do to air flow from engine gases leaving to the atmosphere, (just the oppisite of intake vacum) But on the same idea i do believe that putting it past the muffler would keep the muffler from accumilating oil and condesation in it, the other thing woud be oil lost by doing the mod to the exhaust,
Is it possible that putting vacum on the blowby would suck any oil comming close to the vacum side of the blowby being sucked out kind of like when your cup is almost empty and your using a straw the air increases the vacum pressure due to loss of liquid and sucking anything around it making that air/fluid sound as the cup empties.
The larger commercial trucks just have the blow by hose pointing straight down (when the inside of the engine being a closed system with the crank spinning some what acts like a pump from the spinning action displacing air forcing the gases out the blow by hose) with no oil puddles from long idle times. And on that system it is easier to see how the engine is doing by watching the amount of visible gases and or oil leavng the hose
Also usally the more gases escaping mean the more the piston rings are letting compression past them.
Also in my opinion the diesel engine does'nt need forced removal of crank case blowby due to the difference of flash points, then that of a regular gas engine, Regular gas has a much lower flash point so it is possible for the ignition of a piston on gas engines to allow flamed heated air past the piston to ignite the unspent gases in the crank case exploding the engine from inside.
Where diesel has a much higher flash point, something like diesel it self must be heated to 248 degrees before it releases a vapor that can act as a flash point and if your engine hits that amounrt of heat you have some real problems since a good running engine should never be ran over 220 and anything past that can cause engine damage.

I do plan on doing the CCV mod but with respect to a open air system and not a closed system and I do plan on running my Blowby hose to the back of the rear axle, im going to just leave enought hose so that it will compensate for the spring travel and mount it near the spring to kind of hide it.

Well this is my first time writting on this fourm even though i have been reading everything here for about a month now and i hope this may help some with there own ideas and what maybe best for them,

Last edited:

NEokcTERROR

Reaction score
With the magnaflow straight through muffler on my truck it has no backpressure in the exhaust. I was mainly pointing the check valve question to someone that may be using a stock or chambered muffler i.e. Flowmaster etc. These trucks do have around 3 psi back pressure in the exhaust @ 2,600 when on the throttle pulling with the stock muffler.

The factory setup (CCV in the tube after the air filter) does pull a slight vacuum on the crankcase. So actually running the CCV to atmosphere changes it from the intake system helping to evacuate the crankcase, to the crankcase evacuating itself. I don't think either is wrong due to having done the atmosphere CCV mod last night and after driving it about 50 miles now I have no oil in the hose "yet" and the blow-by even at cold startup is very minimal at most. I just wish I could see what was blowing out of it at WOT max boost. That would make a funny video with my head under the truck while driving. Maybe I could run it into the cab to see NOT. LOL!

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To funny

I Never did like Emisson laws as far as auto goes, just to much bull
At work i see alot of trucks and you can usally tell how a driver is running the truck by the blowby, heavy blowby chugging engine, light blowby running RPMs right on the power curve. and there nice and smooth,
My one brother is not to smart, maybe i can get him to hold on under the truck while i drive and he can call me on the cell phone and tell me whats going on..lol :roflmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58