Question about CCV mod.

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the crankcase evacuation system on my truck. Had to remove it because it started pushing oil out the crank seals. Returned it open air and have no problems.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious

Im just wondering why it did'nt work. i hav'nt tried it yet but from reading the fourms, I would just like to ask a few things as to possibly why it might not have worked for you since it seems that it is one of those mods that been around along time and there are some people running it to the exhaust,
Was it hooked up after the muffler or close to it, and was the fitting welded in there on an angle with the line to it running towards that engine.
It just my thinking but if it was run straight in then instead of having a angle to cause vacum on it it would get exhaust back pressure going into it...
Dont mean to sound like an idiot or something, just wondering what might have went wrong before i do mine and make a mistake if i do the exhaust hook up...thanks:hail

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RickGmi said:
Im just wondering why it did'nt work. i hav'nt tried it yet but from reading the fourms, I would just like to ask a few things as to possibly why it might not have worked for you since it seems that it is one of those mods that been around along time and there are some people running it to the exhaust,
Was it hooked up after the muffler or close to it,No muffler, even behind where it would be, and was the fitting welded in there on an angle with the line to it running towards that engine. Yes, I'm very familiar with how it works. Raced an alcohol injected sb Vega for many years.
It just my thinking but if it was run straight in then instead of having a angle to cause vacum on it it would get exhaust back pressure going into it...
Dont mean to sound like an idiot or something, just wondering what might have went wrong before i do mine and make a mistake if i do the exhaust hook up...thanks:hail

:dunno Don't know why, didn't try to find out. This was 8 mos. ago.

Last edited:

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked

I just installed the Hpop Cross over line and I unhooked my air intake to make it easier, while I was in there I noticed were the CV goes into the intake, and there is a little piece of plastic comming up with a scoop on it facing the filter, I maybe wrong but this makes me think that when the air comes across the little scoop it is actually catching air instead of drawing it out as if it was facing the other way towards the Turbo...interesting...strange or im just thinking wrong that it limits the amount of air comming out of the blowby

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The scoop in the intake tube does face the air filter. This is to limit the suction on the ccv. Remember it is on the suction side. Bryan I think the reason for mine causing the oil leak was due to the one way valve on the venturi that goes into the exhaust. The crankcase evacuation system described was intended to be used on a gas engine with one in each valve cover. I think the pressure in the diesel single exhaust was higher than the pressure in the crancase with useing the one way valve. Remember I'm also running a lot more fuel and turbo than stock. Will it work for you, probably so, just didn't work for me.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it that way so there is less chance of sucking oil out of the CCV. I would believe if i thought about it that there is less blowby since a diesel does'nt need as much CCV as a gasser would and does'nt have a PVC like a gasser...if im thinking right

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Mine runs to the bottom, V cut towards the front like the old road draft tubes to suck the vapor out. Sitting at a stand still I'll look at it and it is definately pushing not sucking. I did put a free flowing filter on it and it started backing the oil up throught the dipstick tube, it came off instantly and I still get vapor, but no more oil is pushed out. If you think about it, it's originally located on the suction side of the turbo intake thus pulling vapor/gasses etc. out of the head and unfortunately through the intercooler wihich reduces the whole cooling effect. Has anyone openned the box on top of the valve cover it's clamped to? Is there a check valve in there or ?

Last edited:

NEokcTERROR

BREAKING STUFF !!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
My little scoop was pointing to air filter as well. I looked at it and thought 'huh that's wierd' then I threw it across the shop onto a shelf. Slight vacuum between turbo and air filter vs. reverse venturi effect. Hmmm maybe it cancels itself out like tomato -- tomawto. Either way I'm driving it 800+ miles starting about 2AM tonight with the CCV vented to behind the rear doors outside the frame. Hope it doesn't make a mess. Roadtrip is to pickup another 7.3 engine I won on Ebay. Anyone got any good info on 18:1, porting the heads and really turning it up?

The HX line mod is my next thought. Anybody got a good source on a good, well fitting solid line kit? I search some today, but on dial-up at the shop so I got pissed and quit looking.

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
To bad you can't do the HPX before you go. It's wayyyyyy worth it! I just did a 1000 miles w/CCV and HPX and will never look back. I don't know if the CCV mod does little more than keep oil out of the turbo and intercooler, but the HPX definately helps starting cold, idles quieter and run smoother. I'm using the aircraft grade flex line. Bit of bear to put on, your litterally laying accross the motor and until you get both sides screwed in it dribbles oil which also makes the proccess more challenging. Will never regret doing it thou'. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58