Question about early 99 Front unit bearing

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My gf's truck has major front end probs. We've replaced that main front axle seal a bunch of times. Always goes out. Sooooooooo...........has to be another prob obviously. Her dad took it apart and the warn snap ring on the back of the lock out was off AGAIN. Hes trying to get it back together but cant get the lock out to go back on the stub shaft splines. Is it possible to have that axle bent? I personally havnt looked at the truck this time but probably will tomarrow night sometime. The needle bearing was bad so that was replaced. I wish she had the money to buy that dynatrac front conversion kit and be done with this. I know when mine go bad I will buy the kit. I will get a loan damn it! haha. I've priced some unit bearings on ebay for a lil over $100. I know they are probably cheap but they should last a lil while. Do any of you guys have any other insight on what could be goin wrong with the front axle stuff? What to look for? I've put main axle seals and dust seals on this truck already.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Axle seals will go out if the bearings are bad. If the unit bearings are shot, they have to be replaced, as there are no fixes. I have bought them and they are not cheap.

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy a later 99.5 to 02 front wheel bearing and replace the rotor to match. Its a lot cheaper then an early hub. later hub and rotor is cheaper then early hub alone. It will all bolt together

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
--- Is it possible to have that axle bent?

If it helps, I think I know someone who once put a Dyna-Trac on an early 99 they once owned but recently sold it. I think "he" might still have the old outer axle shafts laying around.:innocent:innocent

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all yer imput. I wish she had the money i would tell her to get the dynatrac kit. Im gonna keep searching. Thanks TG, I will keep that in mind when we tear the truck down. Next step is getting it here so we can tear it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58