Question about F-350

sreaminredfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im new to this forum, and Im looking at buying a 2005 F350 ext cab fx4 5.4 gas motor. The truck is really clean, with 43,000 miles on it, one owner, never worked. Im just wondering if thats a good choice, because alot of people say the 5.4 really has to work to pull around a 10,000lb f350, and its a lot of stress on the motor. I dont have the need for a diesel, and im not going to work the truck, and id like to steer clear of the 6.0 psd. Ive got some friends with horror stories about them. Im also aware of the common problems with the 5.4 such as blowing spark plugs right out of the heads, and leaking exhaust manifolds. Just looking for some input as to whether or not its a good choice. Thanks in advance everyone.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will hear horror stories about any make and any engine out there. So what else is new. This is a Ford Diesel Forum, as we all are slanted that way. I have a 6.0 and I have had no unusual problems with it. I don't know any thing about the 5.4. I would buy a well maintained truck and check with Ford for the Oasis report on that truck. You will need the VIN. It will show you all of the work that Ford has done to that truck. This way you know the history of the truck.

Dave :)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea the 5.4s had those probs. Sounds like a nice truck. BUT diesel would be better for pulling. Plus last longer since thats what its made for. The 5.4 will probably do it but probably wont like it. But if you rarely pull I guess the 5.4 will do it.

sreaminredfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I know all makes models have their pros and cons, but ford trucks for the win in my book. And I don't do any towing at all whatsoever, this truck will be my DD, I know gas mileage wont be great, but Im used to it, Ive never owned anything less than a V8. My little 4x4 1/2 ton GMC is just too small for my taste, and its a GM truck, its junk haha. I test drove a nice 2005 f250 5.4 today, and the motor seemed to have plenty of torque to move the truck down the road no problem, So idk why all these people say the 5.4 is underpowered for that big of a truck. I say they're full of it. So Im going to look at the F-350 I mentioned before tomorrow, hopefully Ill like it enough to sign some papers.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most people USE a truck for work. They carry or pull loads everyday and they want the power of a diesel motor, and the economy. I know many people use trucks as a daily driver. Diesels are not good grocery getters. They don't like short trips to the market, or any where else. They like to be driven and get brought up to operating temperature. If you don't do this kind of driving, then the 5.4 gasser is for you.

Dave ;tu

sreaminredfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, if it weren't for my line of work and where I live, I wouldnt need a truck and I could just drive my car everywhere. I operate excavation equipment and I live in MASS. Winters can be pretty brutal around here and job sites can get pretty messy in the wet seasons. But Im also tired of driving a little 1/2 ton GM truck, It feels like a grandpa truck haha.

sreaminredfire

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I drove an hour to go see the truck, and it turns out the truck is in terrible shape.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will like the 5.4 for just a DD, and it will pull light loads just fine if your not pulling 10,000 up a 6% grade. If I were using it for a DD I would get the F-250
for a better ride.
Doug

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I know you want somethin bigger than a half ton but what about a newer f150? I heard good things on that eco boost motor, tows good and gets great fuel mileage. Its def better than a pos gm! hehe. Maybe you just havnt driven a GOOD half ton haha.

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sreaminredfire, I had a 2004 f350 with the 5.4 and I did find it underpowered for towing my 10,000lb trailer. That being said if you are only going to use it for a DD you should be fine. For myself I got a 05 with the 6.0 and it does a much better job of towing. Just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58