Question- Hard Start

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
At what temp would you expect to have hard start to almost no start issues with your truck? Cranks fine and fast (batteries good). It is 7 degrees with -14 degree wind chill. No access to electricity. Yesterday took about 10 cranks to finally start @ about the same temp.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At temps near or below 0.. it may take several crank cycles to start Any diesel engine, especially if it's been allowed to sit for a period of time and git Cold Soaked.

Cold fuel, Cold oil, Cold heads, Cold everything= Hard Start (even with good GP's)

My .03

Joe

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
At what temp would you expect to have hard start to almost no start issues with your truck? Cranks fine and fast (batteries good). It is 7 degrees with -14 degree wind chill. No access to electricity. Yesterday took about 10 cranks to finally start @ about the same temp.

My truck is the same way if I don't plug it in at those temps but I find that if I cycle the glow plugs a couple times before I crank it over it seems to help.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave sez too ;tu

See if you can't rig up some sort of exstention cord (12 ga. or better) on a timer (15 amp or better)... to give the block some heat for a few hours. Even at that.. it may take a couple of GP cycles to fire up.

:dunno

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I also carry a 12/3 50ft extension cord with me when I travel in the winter so I can plug the truck in at my hotel or where ever I may be staying. I used to receive some really nasty looks before at hotels when I would start my truck at 5am and kick it up to high idle to warm it up.:lmao

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also carry a 12/3 50ft extension cord with me when I travel in the winter so I can plug the truck in at my hotel or where ever I may be staying. I used to receive some really nasty looks before at hotels when I would start my truck at 5am and kick it up to high idle to warm it up.:lmao

;):lmao You got it Dave.. I've even wired a 10/3, 20 amp circuit to the front storage compartment area of our RV.... Or, plug the timer into the Park receptical. Ye 'ol Ford fires up every time.. ;):D:sweet

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I feel alot better hearing everyone replies. It has not left me stranded yet today took about 6 tries. I due cycle a couple of times without starting. Started feathering the go pedal and that worked better. I want to switch to 10w 30 for the but winter cant find it except at the stealer but do not want what they charge. Do not want to go synthetic due to the fact I am not fully broken in. Why cant I find it? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yer call Boadie.. but 5w40 is the way to go with these things...;tu

Most others will agree I think :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
That is synthetic? If I chose to stick with Dino (10W 30) whats the brand? Have you seen it at the store? Would you go to synthetic before your broke in? Thanks

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
what is the milage on truck????have you had latest reflash done(aid`s in cold weather start up)?5w40 is the way to go with these 6.0l`s, especially in the winter....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58