Question re. steering damper

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
To all the great minds on this forum, this question is for a friend of mine who works on his own truck much of the time. He has a '99 7.3L Ford SD, auto 4x4 shortbed, 2" lift kit w/front leveled and recently installed new Bilstein shocks after I convinced him how great they are. He loves them but he says that his steering wheel rocks quite a bit, particularly on uneven roads and his thoughts are that it could be his steering damper or steering box.

Is there a way to tell which of the two may be causing the problem or could it be something else? He also asked whether he should install a single or double steering damper on his truck.

And lastly, where on the internet can you get these parts? Due to my lack of mechanical abilities I was no help whatsoever to him.......:tounge

foxrider241

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While he was driving the truck before the lift and new shocks, did the wheel rock as it does now or not as much or not at all? I'd check the power steering fluid and replace if needed, and bleed it. Jack up the front end with the wheels off the ground and move the wheel from side to side and also put a pry bar underneath the tire and push down on the bar to push the wheel up or you could check this just moving it up and down with your hands on both front wheels to check for any play in the steering components.
When it comes to the steering damper, figure when it was ever replaced or if it wasn't, if it's in decent condition and there isn't and fluid leaking from it you could still replace it with either a good single or dual set up. Also check that the tires are at the right psi.
When he did this work did he torque up all the nuts/bolts after some miles with the new setup?
Depending on miles and abuse on the truck it could possibly be the steering box but i doubt it unless everything else checks out ok.
Buying either a single or dual steering stabalizer i'd go to topguncustomz, superlift, rough country, pro-comp, there not hard to find and there considerably priced right from 50-250.
Ask and check all of the above and it's trouble shootin till ya get it right!

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
While he was driving the truck before the lift and new shocks, did the wheel rock as it does now or not as much or not at all? I'd check the power steering fluid and replace if needed, and bleed it. Jack up the front end with the wheels off the ground and move the wheel from side to side and also put a pry bar underneath the tire and push down on the bar to push the wheel up or you could check this just moving it up and down with your hands on both front wheels to check for any play in the steering components.
When it comes to the steering damper, figure when it was ever replaced or if it wasn't, if it's in decent condition and there isn't and fluid leaking from it you could still replace it with either a good single or dual set up. Also check that the tires are at the right psi.
When he did this work did he torque up all the nuts/bolts after some miles with the new setup?
Depending on miles and abuse on the truck it could possibly be the steering box but i doubt it unless everything else checks out ok.
Buying either a single or dual steering stabalizer i'd go to topguncustomz, superlift, rough country, pro-comp, there not hard to find and there considerably priced right from 50-250.
Ask and check all of the above and it's trouble shootin till ya get it right!

Thanks for the info.....much appreciated. The lifts were put on right after he bought the truck so they are NOT new. As for the steering damper I'm guessing it is the original one as is probably the steering box. I will pass this info to him today--might be back with more questions. Thanks again...:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14