Question regarding the CPS maybe.....

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
So I'm driving down a country road on my way to train when the truck starts to buck. Happened a couple of times, then ran okay for a few minutes. Bucking started again and this time the engine died. Managed to pull the truck off the road, gave it a couple of minutes and tried to start it but failed. When I did get it started it died out again. Had to get it towed to the house. Put the key in and it started right up here at home. :confused:

My question is would this be caused by the CPS?? :dunno I had it replaced last year per the recall and was told it would last a long time because they were being made by a different company and would hold up a lot better.......typical Ford B.S. Never had a problem with the truck til now. I wasn't smart enough to get an extra one to put in my glove compartment so going out to get one shortly and see if that'll fix it.

Any advice appreciated.......thanks!!!!! :)

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Yes, that would be it, at least from my experience.

Were you able to start your truck again even tho the CPS was bad? I called the Ford Agency and they said that the truck could start up again even if the CPS went south.......I just ran the truck for 15 min. and it was fine. Got somebody coming tomorrow with a code reader to see if anything shows up there.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I drove my truck home when the CPS took a dumper. That was a long 30 mile ride.:lmao Something to remember. A CPS in the glovebox is no good if all the tools are home.:lmao

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Well, CPS went in early last evening, truck started right up, took it for a test spin just to make sure and it ran like a charm. Went to start it up this morning and it would not start. Couple times it tried but to no avail. A friend came with a code reader and the only thing that showed up was a cam sensor error so he cleared it and the truck started right up. He ran a check on everything, fuel, electric, etc. and everything was fine.

Took the truck out for a ride tonite--not too far just in case--and sure enough went about 3/4 of a mile and it shut down again. Got it back here thanks to a friend who helped me tow it and it still won't start. Gonna try again tomorrow with checking out codes but would sure welcome any suggestions. :confused:

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
What code did it show???
Dave

I'm told it was P0340. I looked it up on the paperwork I have that I printed out from here and it says "Inactive CMP signal detected during engine cranking when ICP pressure was sufficient for starting." Not sure what this means but is there a fix for it and if so what?? The thought was that the truck's computer was not recognizing the new part and thus the error coming up.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My list says Cam Position Sensor Circ Error. This tells me that the part is not good. If you PM me your email address I will send you the list I have (Banks).

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58