Questions about 4x4

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have a few concerns with my dana 50 4wd. Is there a maximum speed you can drive with it engaged? I drove freeway speeds engaged and heard some bad growling and vibrations. It would do it at any speed, but really bad at 60 mph, especially if I let off the throttle. The sound was similar to an ABS engaging. Lately I have been hearing a high pitch squeel at higher speeds 55-70, like a bearing, but cannot tell where it is coming from. I need to get this fixed if it is broke, so any help would be appreciated. :thanks

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Using 4WD on the highway or on paved roads is BAD. When turning, the wheels spin at different speeds and only gravel, dirt, sand or snow are soft enough to handle the difference in speed by "slipping or skidding" the soft road surface under the tires.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Using 4WD on the highway or on paved roads is BAD. When turning, the wheels spin at different speeds and only gravel, dirt, sand or snow are soft enough to handle the difference in speed by "slipping or skidding" the soft road surface under the tires.

I understand that, but I have never heard this noise before on any 4x4. I think I might be expecting too much from a more rugged front end. I have noticed less resistance and such from IFS, but I know the dana 50 is anything, but that.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine gives off a pretty good HUM at anything above 45mph or so.
Theres really no problem at speed <in a straight line>...as hh says
its a turning <wheel/speed differential> issue.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine up to 85 MPH at a drag strip and it was without any strange noises. I disengaged it before getting on the return road.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
mine makes those noises, just like crumm said.....its both knuckle ujoints smoked. also on my truck the tranfer case output shaft has way too much play, so the driveshaft whips and gives you a pretty good shake above 40mph.

basically i keep my truck out of 4x4 unless im totally stuck, because i really dont want to change out those ujoints, or tear apart the tcase to rebuild it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I will run mine with the front locked in for months at a time. Freeway and all. I have never had a problem with any of the Ford trucks that I have owned. I have never changed an axle u-joint in my trucks.

Dave

Reaction score
Same as dave i've ran with my hubs engaged for long time cause forget to take them out. But at least the hubs will work when i need them.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
On my truck the transfer case output shaft has way too much play, so the drive shaft whips and gives you a pretty good shake above 40mph.

A new output yoke may get rid of the play without having to disassemble the t-case. Mine had a little play and a new yoke tightened it up. I run with my hubs locked in from October until April or May and only get a little rumble, no vibration since I changed out the Yoke, rebuilt the cardian joint on the t-case end of the shaft and removed my front add-a-leafs. Anything wrong with the yokes, shaft or joints and it will vibrate.

Might also add that if I remember correctly the F250 has a u-joint on both ends of the front shaft as where the F350 has a cardian on the t-case end. Sometimes changing the F250 shaft to a F350 shaft will get rid of vibration in the F250 trucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58