Questions for 7.3 Dually Owners??

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all Dually owners, I am possibly considering a dually. I don't need one, but I need a 8 foot bed, 4x4 and I want a 6 speed 7.3. Since clean, low mileage 7.3's are hard to find I have possibly considered getting a dually depending on the truck.

Is there a huge difference in the way you drive since your a lot wider?
corners?
parking?

Is there a cost difference in maintenance or any other costs minus tires?
Are your brake jobs more since you have 2 more tires to remove?
Is there a big difference in mpg?

I want a 4x4 for sure, I am concerned if I get in a traffic jamb and have to go thru a ditch, over curbs or thru whatever it will be very difficult with how wide the truck is? Have any of you experienced this before?

Any info will be greatly appreciate guys.
Thanks for the help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has just what you want. He tells me that he got too much truck for his needs. His mileage is about what a Single Wheel truck is, with a drop of 1 or 2 mpg. Brakes are a little bigger in the rear, but not much. Driving is different with the wider stance. Drive with your mirrors! It does carry a load well. And you have to change the rears all at the same time to keep them matched for wear. Don't rotate the tires front to rear.

Dave

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I got a dually buyin tires kinda sucks, and it aint as good in the mud and real deep snow as a single i bet. but for hualin and towin I LOVE IT. it all depends on how good of driver you are too i guess bein a little wider dont bother me at all just got to be a little more carefull
people get out the way:sly haha

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 4 Superduty Duallies . For me it's the only way to fly . The minor inconvieniences pale in comparison to the advantages . Mine are all crew cabs as well so yea parking can suck but I don't like parking close anyway (door dings) . Tires , yea gotta get 6 . As far as milage , mine gets 19 or so no mater how I drive it , drops to about 16 when hauling my 6000 lb. trailer . I drive mine everywhere , through atms , drive thrus , ect . Best vacation vehicle ever . Just my .02 . Good luck with your decision .

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 4 Superduty Duallies . For me it's the only way to fly . The minor inconvieniences pale in comparison to the advantages . Mine are all crew cabs as well so yea parking can suck but I don't like parking close anyway (door dings) . Tires , yea gotta get 6 . As far as milage , mine gets 19 or so no mater how I drive it , drops to about 16 when hauling my 6000 lb. trailer . I drive mine everywhere , through atms , drive thrus , ect . Best vacation vehicle ever . Just my .02 . Good luck with your decision .

X2 on all the above......4th for me too. I've liked my "Big Butt" DRW's.. in ALL respects.

Whenever I replace the 2K ? It'll be with another.. DRW.

Joe

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a dually buyin tires kinda sucks, and it aint as good in the mud and real deep snow as a single i bet. but for hualin and towin I LOVE IT. it all depends on how good of driver you are too i guess bein a little wider dont bother me at all just got to be a little more carefull
people get out the way:sly haha

Thanks guys for all the responses, good stuff. I don't do a lot of muddin, but when I have to I like to get nasty. Kinda of like having a concealed permit, the chances of you ever having to pull it out and use are very slim. But if you do, you better go all out.

My take anyways, same take in the mud. I plan on getting some decent mud tires for that reason. If I have to get off in it to pull some out or get around traffic I don't want any hold up.

But my reasoning was that, 4 tires in the back might be better than 2?? Is that wrong logical thinking? Anyone with any experience with that?

Thanks again guys.

sandrail1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To all Dually owners, I am possibly considering a dually. I don't need one, but I need a 8 foot bed, 4x4 and I want a 6 speed 7.3. Since clean, low mileage 7.3's are hard to find I have possibly considered getting a dually depending on the truck.

Is there a huge difference in the way you drive since your a lot wider?
corners?
parking?

Is there a cost difference in maintenance or any other costs minus tires?
Are your brake jobs more since you have 2 more tires to remove?
Is there a big difference in mpg?

I want a 4x4 for sure, I am concerned if I get in a traffic jamb and have to go thru a ditch, over curbs or thru whatever it will be very difficult with how wide the truck is? Have any of you experienced this before?

Any info will be greatly appreciate guys.
Thanks for the help.

i have had both and will never go back to single .big and bad ass they are stable when driving ,its easy'r to back in parking a dually tire s in every way are more depending on your rims they may need to be pulled off rims to be rotated .... but well go big or stay home ive got 35"s with 2.5 " spacers and love it..

xtrahappy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My $.02 worth on muddin. I`m just 2 wheel drive dually. On construction sites, and in pasture feeding livestock. "Baby" has had her share of being pulled around(those eyes on the front are really handy.)
On soft soils duals seems to pull better. On the hard slick soil single wheels seem to pull lil better. And with 2wd, that engine is heavy, try to stop front end on hard spot.
Only trouble with dual wheels, I`ve had, is when you get in the heavy clay mud, or gumbo. Is vale stems, breaking as mud pushed between tires, I like the real short ones. And that piece of plastic, in fender wells, mudflaps at times. Mostly when you get back on well beaten path and build up some speed. You can thow out some good size mudballs. COPS DON`T LIKE MUD ON ASPHALT, and dually`s love to put it there. I`ve seen some the welders on pipelines have dual wheels on front axle too on 4x4`s.
But what I`ve noticed about driving in mud, alot of it is the driver. I hate drivers that think mud, stomp gas to floor and hold it!!
Oh yea, wash your wheels before mud dries. It`s easier wash off , and you will not get a that shimmy & shake ride.

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a dually with 35"tires all around. Wait for a company to do the buy 3 get one free deal and either save on the set or buy it twice and have spares for the front.
My front tires wear pretty fast so having two spares would come in handy.

I take regular corners way faster than in my single. I have to break'em free on the tight corners and drift it around. Much more stable than the single.

For mud where everyone's tires are stuck in the same rut -I'm not.

My go pedal may as well be an on/off switch and the extra back wheels keep me from spinning them at the light.

Parking and drive throughs take some careful planning. Most lots have those bars around here so I'm out of luck in the city.

Other than the parking I can't see going back to the single.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg