Quick question

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it turns out, my gauges (that got here today) don't work too well in the box. I'm finishing up learning about the install and just have one question...for now.

I've got boost, EGT and trans...Where do I poke all of these through the firewall? Is there a spot already there or do I have to put a drill to it?:confused: Then all of them through the same hole or make a bunch? And last, where in the firewall should I drill if I have too?

Well I guess that ONE question turned into four already. Better bring the computer with me so I can ask more questions.:D

atk

Reaction score
there should be a spot to the left of the master cylinder/brake booster...might be a rubber groment or plastic plug....i use this on super duty trucks when i install snow plows....i run the wiring there....on the inside, it is left of the vrake pedal and up....pull back the sound deadener and your hole will be there....hope ypu can make sense of this....

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it all makes sense. Hopefully I'll be able to find the "vrake" pedal.:laugh I'll be digging around there this weekend. Probably won't get started until next Sunday though. Busy week and all. Submariners never get a break.:cussing:

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my gauges I drilled a new hole and installed a rubber grommet right in the plate where the clutch pedal mechanism normally is. (automatic transmission) I seemed better than cutting an existing boot to run the wires. (ie:steering shaft, main harness block) It worked well. I ran them all through the same grommet.

Last edited:

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm going to crawl around in there Saturday and check things out and see what looks like the best idea. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures too so that others can see some examples. That or see what not to do.

By the way, would it be a better idea to tap the hole by hand istead of sticking the tap into the dewalt? I'm thinking it probably is. Sure would hate to break the end of the tap off into the manifold.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, you have an 06. The 06s come factory with an in-dash boost gauge correct? Whether or not is accurate is irrelevant. However, I don't know where the factory gauge reads from.

Is the factory boost gauge mechanical on the newer 6.0s? It would require at some point a vacuum/pressure hose leading to a specific source to read the boost.

I only say this because my Lightning has a dedicated gromet in the firewall for it's factory vac/boost gauge (not accurate BTW), it's a pretty big gromet - 1.0'' to 1.250'' in diameter with an 1/8 OD hose. I ran all my wires, hoses for my aftermarket gauges through that spot.

I know my 01 doesn't have that same gromet installed on the firewall as I have no factory boost gauge, but it's something to think about.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't even begun to look into hooking up the boost yet. I was working until two in the morning on what I had done and had to quit so that I could get SOME sleep before work. After reading this I do remember seeing some grommit like what you are talking about. I just don't remember what was running through it.

I've got most of the other wires routed at least. I drilled a hole and installed the grommet that came with the pyrometer. That might have taken longer to do than drilling and tapping the hole on the manifold. Stupid thing kept popping out.

I'm just hoping that there was as little shavings in the manifold as possible. Kept tons of oil on the drill and tap. Used a magnet to try to get anything out of there. Turbo is still whistling for now.

Well that's an update. It won't be until about Thursday until I get to finish. Besides, it looks cool driving around with the a-pillar hanging from a wire and a bunch of other wires puking out of the dash. Anybody know hor to get that thing all of the way off?

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a million Ironmerganser. I was about to get on here freaking out because my lights wouldn't light up very bright at all. After looking at those pics and instructions I'm going to give it another go. I wish I would have seen that before. Don't know if any of the gauges work yet because I tried to tackle the lights before finishing up the gauge install on the trans and pyro. Haven't even taken the boost gauge out of the box.

If I don't make progress tomorrow then I think I might have to face the fact that I may have bitten off more than I can chew. It's funny, I can troubleshoot and maintain reactor control equipment but I can't get some stupid gauge to light up.

P.S. I found out that the light switch cover isn't supposed to come off the way I tried it. It isn't supposed to come off at all, in fact. -mad Nothing some epoxy can't fix I guess.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yeah...that is going to be one of my projects after Chirstmas. I am tired of the stupid stock "gauges".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg