R-134A being discontinued???

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Freeze 12 is only approved as a sub for R22, which is used in stuff like RV roof units, refrigeration units, bus & train rooftop units

You guys... just because something is legal for sale, does not mean it's legal for use in whatever you want to squirt it into.

Read my rant above. I work in this industry. I repair A/C units daily.

If my refrigerant identifier says anything other than "R12" or "R134a" I'm not touching your truck. I'm not "just charging it up," because the State EPA says I can't recharge a system with a known leak. The State of Michigan Bureau of Auto Repair says if I hook gauges to it, I'm hooking them up with the intent of repairing a system. I cannot, by law, top off a system without a warranty on repairs performed. If the repair is cramming a leaker full so it can spew ozone depleting or greenhouse emission refrigerant, I'm legally bound to repair that system at no cost. And pardon me, I'm not doing $3,000. of repairs on your vehicle for $125.
I'm right with ya JL. :sweet

dpantazis

Reaction score
i don;t meant to hijack this thread, but R-22, the land based refrigerant is being phased out in 2010.

anyone seen a Puron A/C unit, aka R410 (?) they are GARGANTUAN! they are as big as small garden sheds.

if you think we have issues with out auto A/C, wait till your house needs it!

dp

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
ok im going to hijack my own thread.....

im not terribly familiar with the technology, nor do i know what its called, but i heard about this material/assembly/idontknowwhat that is dual purpose. when electricity is passed through it it cools with great efficiency and very low temps, and when heat is applied to it, it becomes an electrical generator. why wouldnt they lean towards this technology for cars, being that there is nothing to leak and kill the ozone?:dunno

as i said im not educated on this technology, i just heard about it from an electrical engineer a while back, so if anybody has a clue please chime in.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeze 12 is only approved as a sub for R22, which is used in stuff like RV roof units, refrigeration units, bus & train rooftop units

You guys... just because something is legal for sale, does not mean it's legal for use in whatever you want to squirt it into.

Read my rant above. I work in this industry. I repair A/C units daily.

If my refrigerant identifier says anything other than "R12" or "R134a" I'm not touching your truck. I'm not "just charging it up," because the State EPA says I can't recharge a system with a known leak. The State of Michigan Bureau of Auto Repair says if I hook gauges to it, I'm hooking them up with the intent of repairing a system. I cannot, by law, top off a system without a warranty on repairs performed. If the repair is cramming a leaker full so it can spew ozone depleting or greenhouse emission refrigerant, I'm legally bound to repair that system at no cost. And pardon me, I'm not doing $3,000. of repairs on your vehicle for $125.

I won't use Freeze12, I was misinformed as to its chemical make up. Don't worry about finding anything other than what is acceptable in my refrigeration systems.

To answer your original reply:

JLDickmon said:
if you have a system old enough to use R12, do you want to put the money into repairing it?

if you have a system that uses R134a, why in the world would you want to convert it to something else?

Yes, I have 1992 Mustang 5.0 that I would like to be able to drive in the heat of the summer. My plan is to put a 134a conversion system that Hose Wizard and now Late Model Restoration Supply sells. It includes all new everything from the firewall forward and runs on 134a.

I wouldn't.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yes, I have 1992 Mustang 5.0 that I would like to be able to drive in the heat of the summer. My plan is to put a 134a conversion system that Hose Wizard and now Late Model Restoration Supply sells. It includes all new everything from the firewall forward and runs on 134a.

That, my good friend, is your best bet. Get the thermal orfice tube if they offer one. It's good for about six degrees lower duct temp..

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no where id i ever even for a SECOND suggest that anyone TOP up a
SYSTEM or perform any kinda band-aide fix to a faulty POS system...
thats just STUPID...if the system is leakin' slow or FAST (idont car)
FIX it & stop messin' around.

as for Freez12...do what you THINK is best...never did i imply that
ANYTHING should be mixed w/ either r12 134a or anything ELSE...if the
system needs a re-charge theres a reason...fix it and fill it <w/ something
approved> and for godsake LABEL it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
no where id i ever even for a SECOND suggest that anyone TOP up a
SYSTEM or perform any kinda band-aide fix to a faulty POS system...
thats just STUPID...if the system is leakin' slow or FAST (idont car)
FIX it & stop messin' around.

as for Freez12...do what you THINK is best...never did i imply that
ANYTHING should be mixed w/ either r12 134a or anything ELSE...if the
system needs a re-charge theres a reason...fix it and fill it <w/ something
approved> and for godsake LABEL it.

And I didn't mean to imply that, My apologies...

What I'm getting at is; We've been using R134a for over ten years now. If you've got a 1990 with a leaky condensor, you'd be just as well off converting it over to R134a, because honestly? If they quit making it tomorrow, there's about a three year inventory of the stuff.

If your system has a thermal expansion valve, you're in tall cool beans. Change the accumulator and the fittings, shrink on your labels, you're there.

If it's got an orfice tune, change it to a thermal orfice tube, it AND the accumulator, and get out your vacuum pump.

R134a is cheap, plentiful, and with a little stroking, works.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ok im going to hijack my own thread.....

im not terribly familiar with the technology, nor do i know what its called, but i heard about this material/assembly/idontknowwhat that is dual purpose. when electricity is passed through it it cools with great efficiency and very low temps, and when heat is applied to it, it becomes an electrical generator. why wouldnt they lean towards this technology for cars, being that there is nothing to leak and kill the ozone?:dunno

as i said im not educated on this technology, i just heard about it from an electrical engineer a while back, so if anybody has a clue please chime in.

It's called a Peltier Cooler and it's PHENOMINALLY energy intensive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14