Racor CCV filter

dpantazis

Reaction score
I have the provent filter too. I will probably throw it on the tdi to clean the EGR vapors.

the NICEST thing about the RACOR unit is how it mounts. Between that plate that screws to the valve cover and how the filter is captured to it, the darned thing looks OEM. that and the custom hose are really trick.

Considering that the Provent is about $165 without any plumbing, and the Racor is $265 with ALL the parts and plumbing, its worth it if it works.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the provent filter too. I will probably throw it on the tdi to clean the EGR vapors.

the NICEST thing about the RACOR unit is how it mounts. Between that plate that screws to the valve cover and how the filter is captured to it, the darned thing looks OEM. that and the custom hose are really trick.

Considering that the Provent is about $165 without any plumbing, and the Racor is $265 with ALL the parts and plumbing, its worth it if it works.

X2 Dennis ;tu

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Super write up Dennis!:notworthy
Wonder if the Racor filter could do something for this rear exit style open air CCV on this newer model bus?;tu
0623081144.jpg

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Long term report on Racor CCV3550-FRD-02

"talking to the folks at Racor, the difference btwn the -01 and -02 was a revision in the valve cover plate. -01 is old and outdated by 3-4 years at least.

I confirmed with the ebay seller that the part number was in fact -02. He was thankful that I pointed it out to them. I did get the -02.

So far so good. No leaks, no seeps. Time will tell."

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but at least I'm not being lazy and making full use of the search tool!

As recently as today I have confirmed with the CCV design engineer at Racor that the difference between the FRD-01 and the FRD-02 is that the 01 had a "diamond cut" gasket in the non user servicable cover (either to seal the cover or seal the restriction indicator) and the 02 replaced that gasket with a robotically applied RTV type bead of sealant similar to how our oil pans are sealed to the block skirt.

The gasket of the -01 model on rare occasions would leak, and the sealant that was used instead on the -02 models solved that problem.

Question though: As far as "no leaks, no seeps" elsewhere from the engine... "time will tell"... now that time (5 years) has passed, what has time told you?

dpantazis

Reaction score
i REALLY like my filter

i can not say enough good about the Racor unit. i'd say close to 80k on it now.

I have kept it stock. anytime i have serviced it, the media looks good. the filter minder seems to work well. i have not changed the filter yet, i will probably just for good measure.

NO blown boots anymore.

oil 'consumption' has gone to about 0. i might be off half a quart to a quart in 5-7k interval, but

I have always been a believer in CCV filters since VW came out with their EGR system in '98.

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
i can not say enough good about the Racor unit. i'd say close to 80k on it now.

I have kept it stock. anytime i have serviced it, the media looks good. the filter minder seems to work well. i have not changed the filter yet, i will probably just for good measure.

NO blown boots anymore.

oil 'consumption' has gone to about 0. i might be off half a quart to a quart in 5-7k interval, but

I have always been a believer in CCV filters since VW came out with their EGR system in '98.

I installed mine many years ago. (It was version 2.0 also) I don't have near the miles on it that you do, but my results are the same as yours. 100% satisfied with it and I had the CARB smog referee check into it and they gave it the thumbs up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58