racor leaking

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Anyone with a Racor prefilter - are you having any trouble with leaks? I frequently notice a small wetspot under my filter and fuel all over the canister. A week or two ago I took my filter wrench and managed to tighten it quite a bit curing the problem for a while. Today I noticed a spot again and the canister was covered again. I tried tightening it again but it didnt need it.

Any idea where this could be coming from? All of the hoses and fittings are fine and not the source. :dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Is the head unit wet too or just the filter element???

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, Real Tight is not better. Maybe you've Over tightened it and distorted the seal ?

You might try taking it off and inspecting the seal and it's mateing surface for dirt or grit ?

Joe

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have been gone all weekend and when I got home there was a puddle underneath. I got under and looked at it appears to be the clear inspection bowl. It doesnt look to be threaded - is it?

The filter element is clean now but the inspection bowl downward is wet.

how do I tighten that?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have been gone all weekend and when I got home there was a puddle underneath. I got under and looked at it appears to be the clear inspection bowl. It doesnt look to be threaded - is it?

The filter element is clean now but the inspection bowl downward is wet.

how do I tighten that?

The clear inspection bowl threads onto the element. I would inspect that oring as well.

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I take it back. I just looked more closely and it is definitely coming from the element. I backed it off a little and retightened but not as much.

Where locally can I get another element? I dont know that it needs replacing but that leak was a large puddle and I dont want to have a catastrophe happen.

Any ideas on a patch job?

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I take it back. I just looked more closely and it is definately coming from the element. I backed it off a little and retightened but not as much.

Where locally can I get another element? I dont know that it needs replacing but that leak was a large puddle and I dont want to have a catastrophe happen.

Any ideas on a patch job?

M & D Distributors

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
still leaking. Can I simply replace the gasket? I still have about 8000 miles to go before I need to change it. For me, that's two more years.

What else can I try? How about silicone caulking around the joint?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
still leaking. Can I simply replace the gasket? I still have about 8000 miles to go before I need to change it. For me, that's two more years.

What else can I try? How about silicone caulking around the joint?

Did you pull it off and examine the oring? M & D may sell the oring set separately.

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
no, I didnt have a way to catch any spill. I was also concerned it might start a syphon action and flow all over.

(hey, my 15ooth post!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58