Question radiator fins fix & clean

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I have bent over roughly a half of a square foot of the fins up toward the top of my radiator (or is it the condenser, not sure) when I got careless with a power washer some time ago -- and I've been meaning to tear into it and try to straighten them back up. While at it I figured it would be a good time to back wash all the fins and do a general cleaning. There is very little room from the engine side to spray water and I can't get at a lot of the radiator.

I'd appreciate advice on what all to take apart so I can a) straighten the fins and b) clean all the various sections. I assume I take off the grill cover and that black 'blanket' that covers the top of the radiator. Then what? Is that enough?

Also, I recall a thread on a "fin straightener" but I cannot find it. Anybody use one of these, or know what our fin spacing is?

Thanks for your help!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Stiff, short bristled floor scrubbing brush, on my [Condenser]. But you could check with your local Radiator shop... there are Fin Straightening Tools (combs) out there.. for doing the job. I've also used (very gently) a Wire brush. Takes several vertical swipes... but works very well.

Initially, you may need to remove the Grill.. then yearly, you can get to it all... from the top, by removing that black "blanket" thing.

I soak the whole thing with Warm Soapy (Dawn) water first.. then back-flush with with a hose nozzle I found at a Hardware store.. for hosing off driveways & sidewalks.. puts out a strong fan spray.

Joe

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a Murphy's Law update...I did remove the grill, used a tool from Harbor Freight to straighten most of the fins, cleaned it all up pretty and put it back together. Next day, coming from O'Hare to home in central IL ran along the edge of a major frontal system and serious T-storms with some occasional hail -- nothing huge but sheets of little stuff, off an on, for at least 60 miles. Lots of cars were stopped, one tractor jack-knifed, etc. I just kept moving along slowly.

Guess what my condenser looks like? Like, 10X worse than before! I'll post a picture when I return home. Now I am asking myself why I didn't also add on the insect screen. Would have made all the difference...at least the A/C worked and so no leaks, but it sure looks like hell!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( BUMMER !

Maybe a Billit Grill could be added to yer list ??

Joe

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe...or just put the insect screen on when I take the cold cover off and be done with it. At this point I'm wondering I'll need a cold cover anymore, given the amount of reduced airflow that is probably occurring thanks to the smashed condenser face! Sort of a freak of nature, literally, ... but it sure looks like hell anyway...

djanzen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I use one like this at work. It works pretty good if you take your time.

ACT407, Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4" long
View Larger Image

21496.JPG

WARNING

Wear safety shield.
Frequently inspect, clean, and lubricate ratchet mechanism with light oil.

ACT407, Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4 Email a Friend
Tell others about this Snap-on item.
Add to your Wish List

Organize your list for later reference.
Plan and prioritize for future purchases.
Email your wish list to friends & family.

ACT407, Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4 Printable Page
Display a printer-friendly page.
ACT407, Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4 Bookmark Page
Save this page to view later.

Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4" long
Item Qty Price**
Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4" long

Stock#: ACT407
$23.60
Your Price:
$13.50

Add To Cart
Checkout

Description:
Multi-head tool handles 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, and 15 fins per inch. 4 1/4" long.
Product Specifications
Stock # ACT407
Name Fin Straightener and Cleaner, 4 1/4" long
Price** $23.60
Brand Snap-on
Country Of Origin Taiwan
Checkout

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes! that is what I used (before the hail storm)! Works ok, but frankly the fin spacing is not 14 lpi and its not 15 lpi either...sumpthin' in between, I guess. but thanks...Im just complaining that I got it pretty well fixed and then next day...bam! I will not get it all straightened out, some of it looks like solder puddles...really mashed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58