Question Ran out of fuel and now will NOT start?

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just towed a friend home in his 01 quad cab superduty 7.3
He ran out of fuel. After we got home we filled up the tank with 15+ gallons of diesel, and tried to start.. nothing, nada.. zip, maybe a little blue smoke out the back, but did not smell like raw fuel.

I think I remember a mod for the fuel/filter bowl somewhere that would fix problems like this.

I have searched, but I must not be putting the correct words in to find the mod.

Any help ???

Thanks,
RoReRi

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
He's going to have to cycle the key several times without cranking to allow the electric fuel pump to bring the fuel to the engine. Turning the lid off of the filter canister will allow him to see when the fuel is at the bowl.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Normally these trucks will reprime themselves.......but sometimes not.

Open the drain valve on the filter and cycle the key to the on position 5 or 6 times letting it run for 20 seconds each time.

When you get a good flow from the drain valve close it. You may have to loosen the fuel filter lid and cycle again to get the air out of it.

Tbar

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've done that, several times. Even left the lid loose to see if it would pump fuel out. It did not pump the fuel out, but the fuel bowl is full now...
Will try the drain valve next... sorry I didn't do that... but need to wait on the batteries to charge.
I'm lost, should it pump the fuel out? If its not, could there be a fuse preventing the pump from turning on, or is there still air in the line.
He ran it flat OUT of fuel.
I guess I should of mentiond it but there was nothing in the fuel bowl when I opened it up. We filled the fuel bowl up ourselves, and its stayed that way while crankin'.
Crank 20-30 seconds... wait a minute or so. Drained the batteries, and they are now charging...

maybe a stick of TNT that'll fix it!!

Thanks,
RoReRi

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
but need to wait on the batteries to charge.

Crank 20-30 seconds... wait a minute or so. Drained the batteries, and they are now charging...

maybe a stick of TNT that'll fix it!!

Thanks,
RoReRi

I think we might have found your buddies problem. ;)

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
1) The truck will not start if the batteries are week. It may turn over just fine but without proper voltage the PCM will not allow it to start. Get a full charge on the batteries.

2) When you cycle the key you are not trying to start the truck.....you are just turning it to the run position to allow the pump to self prime.

3) Do you hear the pump running........it is on the frame rail under the drivers side door.

Tbar

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
Having just gone through this the other day........

If the lift pump is good and the batteries are charged

1 Open the fuel bowl drain and leave it open.
2 place a catch can or tray under the engine to catch any liquid gold
3 turn the key to the on position but do not start the truck
4 the pump will run for 10-15 seconds and then shut off.You can here this from the drivers seat or have someone listen to the pump.
5 do this until you see fuel coming from the fuel bowl drain(it will come out fast when it finally fills)
if you do not have fuel after 10 key cycles you may have trashed your lift pump

My lift pump was actually the problem, not running out of fuel as I thought.
I still had 5 gallon in the tank

When the tank runs dry it can suck up all the crap from the bottom of the tank and kill the lift pump

I pulled the lift pump and hot wired it. I submerged the suction side in diesel and it wouldn't pump a thing. It ran all day long but no pressure.

With the new pump installed it started in less than 5 minutes.

Good luck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try this, after you Charge the Batteries.

Open the fuel filter drain valve, with a catch can under the truck.

Hook up a Shop Vac hose to the BLOWER side of the vac.

Turn the key on but don't try to start it.

Put the Vac hose over the fill pipe,to pressurize the tank, forcing fuel to push the air out of the tank to pump line.. and let the pump re-prime itself until a CLEAR flow of fuel comes out of the fuel filter drain line.

Turn the key off, remove the shop vac, shut the drain valve off.

Start the engine... it'll stumble and shudder but once it clears the air out of the fuel system........it'll run fine.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58