Random Hard to start 95 Turbo Diesel

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang... got one for ya...

My buddy has an original owner 95 7.3 turbo, not the powerstroke... Trouble is lately it's been getting hard to start... sometimes. it has 180k miles on it.

Glow plugs are good, relay is good, starter is fine, batteries and associated cabling is fine.

Sometimes the truck fires right up, other times you can grind on it for 30 seconds with no results. You might hit the key again, and it might start, or it might go another 30 or 45 seconds before something happens. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold start, You could shut it down to make an order at McDonalds and hit the key and annoy everyone behind you.

He was questioning the injector pump, I'm thinking some of the low pressure fuel delivery hose might be getting some air in it. When it comes online, it almost sounds like it's barely running, then it catches for real and is fine. Runs fine, drives fine, no power problems under load at all.

Our old 86 6.9 kinda behaved like thing when you'd drain the fuel water separator and change the filter on the engine, but once it got it primed, it was fine. When our injector pump died, it was all or nothing, and even if you could get it running, the cloud of blue smoke would wipe out the neighborhood. This truck doesn't smoke at all.

Old rubber hoses getting spongy?

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I am not positive about the 7.3, but on a 3208 cat I had similar problems like you describe. The truck wouldn't start with out ether hot or cold. We were checking for fuel leaks and found fuel coming out the throttle shaft seal on the injector pump. It was draining the injector pump after shut down causing the hard start situation. Like I said I have no clue about a 95 7.3, but you may want to look it over for fuel puddling on top of the motor.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I moved the thread, this is a IDI question.

Also, Just FYI, He has a 94, there are no 95 IDI's made ;)

Take care,

Kevin

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Sounds like the metering valve in the injection pump is sticking. I just finished training on these pumps last week. Troubleshooting we covered listed hard/no start conditions are sticking metering valve.

More than likely the pump has some trash in it that's not letting things operate properly. He'll prolly have to have the pump gone through pretty soon.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not hard once you get the lines removed. Get a flare nut tool and it will make the job easier. Mark the position of the pump before removing. Re-install the pump in the same position as it was removed and do not turn over the motor when the pump is out.

Dave

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, so it's basically like changing a very expensive distributor... I was thinking that it involved flow testing and such, so basic mechanical practices are at play here then huh? Cool easy enough...

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Calibration is all done by the fuel shop that remans the pump. Also if he does take it to one, the shop is not going to give it back to you with the shaft in the same place.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes sense... if you could mark the shaft (scribe it) somehow and take a picture of it to re index it, I'd imagine you'd be fine... I'll see if he's had any luck here recently. Thanks gang...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58