Random idle. Vacuum electric switch?

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
ok, i wasnt able to find this in the book cause i don't know what it's called:

there is a vacuum line going to a harness just to the right of the ac box attatched to the firewall. from what i can see the hose ends there and the vacuum is used to position an electronic switch or meter. just beside the hose barb is a wire harness with several wires from it.

with the hose connected, i get an idle that is strong, then poor and it swings back and forth randomly. if i disconnect the hose, idle is strong but i get no power. i am haveing no other vacuum issues that i am aware of and the hose seems to have a good suction.

what is this and what needs to be serviced/replaced?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
must be....its the only thing that makes sense. unplug that and all the boost goes out the hose. as far as the smooth idle with it unplugged.....:confused: the good/bad idle you describe sounds like mine when the defrost or ac is on, and the compressor is cycling on and off.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
It is the map sensor. i looked up the part image and it's the same. so is my map sensor failing? hope not @ $150- $200 bucks for a replacement!

my AC is turned off.

With the engine running i can plug the hose in and create an erratic idle. as soon as i unplug it, the idle is fine.

also, this is not an issue once the truck warms up... as in it runs just fine with the hose connected. ????

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
so, i pulled a po236 code. boost pressure sensor. this issue occurs every time the truck starts regardless of the engine temp... however while pulling the codes i noticed that i left the chip programmed in PERF TOW mode. i reprogrammed it to PERFORMANCE and NOT not tow mode and the problem (so far...4 startups) has not happened since. anyone have any ideas on this? my programmer a superchips.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14