Range Sensor

MudHog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my range sensor on my trans yesterday. Two bolts hold the part on and one electrical plug. I had an issue with my reverse lamps, but have heard that this part will cause a truck not to start as it is also the park and neutral switch that allows starting. Tells the computer where the trans is at.

$48.10 with tax for the part from my local dealer. I seen on powerstrokeshop.com that they list the part 38something plus $8.50 flat rate shipping.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. THe Range Switch is also the "Neutral Safety Switch". The computer will not allow the truck to start if the range switch is not in "P" or "N".

Your problem was that the range sensor failed on "REVERSE". The truck ran fine, but your backup lights would not engage because the backup relay never got the signal from the range sensor.

Glad it was an easy fix. You said there was some indicator on the switch to help you re-align it?

MudHog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Correct. THe Range Switch is also the "Neutral Safety Switch". The computer will not allow the truck to start if the range switch is not in "P" or "N".

Your problem was that the range sensor failed on "REVERSE". The truck ran fine, but your backup lights would not engage because the backup relay never got the signal from the range sensor.

Glad it was an easy fix. You said there was some indicator on the switch to help you re-align it?

There is a "Neutral CL (centerline)" mark on the new part. You put the shifter in neutral and remove the part. Install new part and shift back to park.

Part number is: F7TZ-7F293-AA and it's called a "Range Sensor". Not a "Range Switch".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg