Rattle Down the Road

Browninky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to SD ownership. I have had my 2000 F-250 4X4 for about 6 months now and have just about completed the basic maintenance for its 162K miles. The truck is stock except a Banks Six-Pack and 4" aftermarket exhaust from the turbo back. Chassis appears stock except for 285/75 tires.

Running out of things to fix, I have noticed a deep sounding rattle from the chassis when I hit a bump in the road. This is mostly noticed at low speeds (probably because of the lack of tire and wind noise to mask it). I have only scooted around under shaking and wiggling things looking for issues with the exhaust etc, have not really found the cause yet.

Riding in a friends truck the other day of the same year and model (but bone stock) I noticed the exact same rattle.

Is there something that is typical of these trucks that causes this? I did a basic search of this forum and came up with nothing.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
welcome!

im not familiar with the sd's rattles, as i run an OBS. lots of knowledgeable sd guys here who will be chiming in with some good tips.

atk

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....

inspect the front sway bar bushing and sway bar end links. they are a common parts to replace....

Browninky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Zookie and atk, thanks for the welcome.

Crawled under there just now, sure enough those swaybar end-link bushings look to have seen better days. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before an order for urethane parts was placed.

I had already checked all of the steering linkage replacing a couple of rod ends. The ball joints are not as tight as they should be. Will probably wait for new tire time before tackling that so that I get a better alignment job. While I am at the end-link replacement, are there any other weak points or noticable places of improvement for some new urethane chassis parts?

Thanks again!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zookie and atk, thanks for the welcome.

Crawled under there just now, sure enough those swaybar end-link bushings look to have seen better days. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before an order for urethane parts was placed.

I had already checked all of the steering linkage replacing a couple of rod ends. The ball joints are not as tight as they should be. Will probably wait for new tire time before tackling that so that I get a better alignment job. While I am at the end-link replacement, are there any other weak points or noticable places of improvement for some new urethane chassis parts?

Thanks again!

Shock mount rubbers :dunno

And a Big WELCOME.. from me too ;tu

Last edited:

Browninky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Big Joe.

Considering the shocks look original and are no doubt shot, I'll wait until the ball joints and tires to replace both them and their bushings (won't be long, the truck is a tire burner.) I am a fan of urethane for that too and will no doubt go that way.

Just ordered a swaybar bushing kit from Energy Suspension, hopefully that will kill the rattle. I'll report back once they are installed.

atk

Reaction score
While I am at the end-link replacement, are there any other weak points or noticable places of improvement for some new urethane chassis parts?

Thanks again!

take a look at the front trac bar bushing`s. being your truck is 8-9 years old, it may be time for replacements....

Browninky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Success!

Got the new Urethane front anti-sway bar bushings installed this weekend. That cured the rattle completely. Since I have no hydraulic press, Glad I do have a ball joint tool, the OEM bushings were tough to press out of the sway bar end links!

Thanks again to those who chimed in!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14