Help Needed Rattle under light load & idle

bluewater249

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bad news

I got my rattle fixed today. It was the torque converter. 813 dollars later it sounds great. The guy said they are bad about doing that and alot of people dont catch it until the transmission is toast. Just thought iI would let you know. :sweet

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. The torque converter is only about 2 year old. It doesn't sound that kind of noise. It sound more like one cylinder is knocking louder than the rest.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To continues Zookies line of questions.. Does it sound like bearings in a coffee can ? 99s are known to have torque converter issues, mine was one of them and I replaced it. Normally it isn't noticeable while driving but is very noticeable at idle.

My 99 sounds like that, but it's a 6 speed. It does it any time the clutch pedal isn't pushed to the floor. My GF actually asked me if the truck is broke the other day. I just assumed the trans had some wear on it (177k on the odo), but does anyone else with a manual have this?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i have heard clutches make noises. the hub/springs start to fall apart on the friction plate and dance around when its engaged.

a bad input shaft bearing, or countershaft scoring, would make more of a whining grinding noise. (usually)

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has had that noise since I bought the truck 3 years ago, I upgraded the exhaust system so it has nothing to do with the exhaust, its in the bellhousing area, it goes away around 1,100rpms and comes back at idle/light crusing.......

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58