Re-program

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a factory program that keeps the T/C locked when you tap the brakes? I was thinking of heading to the dealer and have my truck reflashed but I wanted to make sure there was a program out there. Maybe it's just wishfull thinking...

Thanks guys
Ron

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
not that i know of.the converter is supposed to unlock when you hit the brakes to prevent the engine stalling when comeing to a stop.you wont get much engine brakeing from a diesel due to the open unrestricted intake and exhaust.if engine brakeing is what you are after look up the DIY exhaust brake instructions,if you still have the EBPV.if you have a chip you can have the tranny strategies played with to keep the converter locked while your off the throttle.,my converter stays locked down to around 10MPH if i dont hit the brakes

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Yes there is a factory calibration code that will do that. It is PMT. My PMT2 original code would, but would not lock until late at WOT. I believe PMT1 is what you want as it has better WOT locking. But a dealer will not and for all praticality can not put in what ever calibration code you want. Your options are limited to getting a chip burnt with that as a base code or a TC switch or a EBPV exhaust brake with a TC lock. I know DP Tuner used to program chips like that, I'm sure others could too.

Edited to add: Sorry I just noticed you have a '96. The calibration code info would only be applicable to '99+. But I would think it might be possible to get a chip made to do as you wish.

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
If you want to control the TC lock and unlock yourself, you can wire
the control lead thru a switch on your dash to lock and unlock it manually... you didnt specifically state why you want the converter to stay locked???

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
gotta a question, and please don't laugh at me. :confused:

what benefit do you get from having the T/C stayed locked up ?

and what in the world does WOT stand for ?

thanks, just tryin to learn. :oops:

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No there is no code that will keep the t/c locked when you hit the brakes for an OBS truck. PMT will do it, however that is for a 2k superduty, they won't play with the older trucks.

The reason to keep the t/c locked when on the brakes, is because at higher speeds it will help slow the truck down, but the rpms have to stay up to get much benefit from it.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I prefer to keep the TC locked during braking to keep the TC from locking and unlocking alot. It is a preference thing for me. It can help slow the truck some too. Though my DI chip w/ NVK does NOT keep it locked.-mad

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I should of been a little clearer with my question. I have a manual T/C lock already used with the exhaust brake. I guess what I was wondering is that if I don't throw the switch to manually lock it up, was there a program for the OBS trucks that would allow you to get off the throttle without it going straight to idle. I'm not sure what program I have but when you let off it drops to an idle. I thought I'd heard guys able to have the dealer reprogram the computer. I can stilll use the manual lock but I was just wondering...

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TDE0 and TDE1 programs will keep the t/c locked when you let off the fuel, they are the latest programs for the OBS trucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14