Re. Synthetic oils for transmission

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I'm getting ready to have the transmission fluid changed and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I've got folks on one side saying DO NOT use synthetic trans fluids and I have others saying it's the ONLY way to go. Soooo, that being said which way is the best for my truck. I'm not pulling anything and don't plan to do so. I do travel on some very rough terrain where I sometimes get bogged down and need to kick it up to get out but that's about the worst I do with the truck. Truck is 4x4 automatic.

I've been told that the synthetic fluids will cause slippage and also leaks--don't know why but that's what a couple mechanics told me, none of which work on my truck. I spoke with an Amsoil rep and he was very adamant that this is NOT true--an "old wives tale" as he put it......again :confused:

I also plan on installing a new filter when I do this change but again had some people tell me to be very careful about a new filter AND the type of gasket that comes with it.......:confused:

So what's the best way to go???

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this all last year. I bought a new filter. DO NOT use the gasket that come with it. The one on the truck is re-usable. I also bought Amsoil Torque Drive ATF. It is, or was, at that time, Mercon rated, not dual rated.

My temps lowered by 10* just with the fluid change. I have towed my 8000lbs fifth wheel to South Dakota and back last year, and around the New England states this year and have had no problems.

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 210,000 miles with AMSOIL ATF in trans.
AT 100K I sampled the ATF and it was still good go, But @ 150K I decided to flush trans and put in new AMSOIL ATF.

If you have not done this change your transfercase at same time to AMSOIL ATF

My trans has not been over 200*F since new even when towing (see sig)

Ken

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Synthetics will handle 100F more heat. Never used anything else in all my vehicles for the past 20-25 years. Use it and you will like it.
Jim

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetics will handle more heat, but in my case, with not doing any real towing and never having the trans temps get any where near 200*, the cost of the synthetic doesn't make sense.

The synthetics are $7 or more per QUART. I can get the conventional Mercon for $7 a GALLON.

Changing the fluid every 30K and not having any temp problems, the conventional fluid seems to make the most sense for me.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have used AMSOIL ATF for 180k of the 205k I have on the truck.

Knock on wood........everything still OEM factory under there.

Tbar

roadhog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Amsoil is high ,,,,but worth every penny

I was told by my dealer to start using Amsoil in my truck due to it having over 100,000 miles......He said the amsoil rep states that a 10,000 mile oil change would be the same as a normal 2500 mile oil change that i had been doing...... That high milage trucks benefit more from that blend and it wouldn't even hurt to go 15,000 if i wanted too..... But I don't, even though at oil changes i can see no difference in the color...
Since i have been using it my engine runs quieter and my transmission shifts smoother and the temps are cooler than normal even when hauling equipment on a gooseneck trailer.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58