Re: Wolf's Head 15w40

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While out today, I was fueling up at a diesel station and this 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins rolls in. The owner and I were talking and I could tell he had some serious mods to his rig. He stated he was pushing about 650 hp. I asked him what kind of oil he was running. He said Wolf's Head 15w40. I said to him I haven't seen thier 15w40 oil in my area, or know of anyone using it. He said he was getting his at a truck stop ( I didn't ask where)

I checked Wolf Heads web-site. The 15w40 seems to have decent specs as far as I can tell and approved by many diesel makers. Just wanted to see what you guys think, worth trying in our Powerstrokes?

bot

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
While out today, I was fueling up at a diesel station and this 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins rolls in. The owner and I were talking and I could tell he had some serious mods to his rig. He stated he was pushing about 650 hp. I asked him what kind of oil he was running. He said Wolf's Head 15w40. I said to him I haven't seen thier 15w40 oil in my area, or know of anyone using it. He said he was getting his at a truck stop ( I didn't ask where)

I checked Wolf Heads web-site. The 15w40 seems to have decent specs as far as I can tell and approved by many diesel makers. Just wanted to see what you guys think, worth trying in our Powerstrokes?

bot
Don't let them Dodge guys impress you :D

I have been running Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40 and a very happy with it. Cold starts are great, and oil samples are coming back excellent :sweet

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RB

LOL,

Not a chance Ford Powerstroke all the way. Honestly, he was the first diesel owner I spoke with who used or mentioned Wolf's Head. I plan to stick with Rotella. I have heard great things about Shaeffer's from many on various oil and diesel sites.

bot

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40

According to what I have read, WH oil is the oldest out there. I see it once in a while (10w30/10w40) but yet to see the 15w40 in my area. I also hear the diesel oil that Castrol has is supposed to be decent. I was at a truck show last year (Carslile Pa) and saw the Castrol Diesel booth. The reps from Castrol were telling me Castrol was interested in making thier oil a factory fill with the PSD engines. I can only guess the factory fill with the PSD's is the MC diesel oil made by Conoco-Phillips?

bot

david5303

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Didnt in the movie "Neighbors" John Belushi (Earl)tell Dan Aykroyd(Vic) to use Wolf's Head.....It will never let you down? Just a little 1981 trivia :)

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
david5303

I'm not sure about that trivia, funny I must admit. I'll have to check when I see the movie again.

bot

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
we consider Wolf's Head to be one step above the re-refined stuff in our shop..
I've used Rotella, Valvoline, Exxon and Kendall... I think it gets the best fuel economy on the Valvoline, but when it's dead, it's dead.

I put the Kendall Super D3A syn-blend in it a couple weeks ago when I changed it last..

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL

I also use the Rotella 15w40, so far so good. I have heard good things about the Kendall diesel oil. I guess the closest thing to the Kendall in the area auto stores arond me is the MC 15w40 made I think by Conoco-Phillips which I believe is tied in with Kendall?

bot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14