Really been debating a cold air intake

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
been thinking about putting an after market air intake on my 6.0.

Getting tired of paying $80 for a new air filter every time I change it. Thinking a reusable / cleanable filter would increase performance and save money...

any thoughts or suggestions?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a K&N kit and Sh**canned it for a factory one. Factory one Filters better, flows just as good (Good for up to 500hp), and i actually got better mpg's with it. A Paper media filters better than a reusable one. I personally hated cleaning the filters, but to each his own. How often are u changing it? I go 12-15k

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I’ve been changing the air filter about every 10k miles and I wanna say the stock filter was running me about $80 or so, but I seem to be mistaken.

Well, I guess if you guys aren’t seeing any improvements in performance or gas mileage, the only benefit would be saving money when it comes time to change filters. and at that price it would take about 6 filter changes to break even.

Thanks for the info guys.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your changing it way too often ,, and everything I read states ,, keep away from anything other than OEM for the intake

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owners manual states that you only have to change it as often as the little gauge says. The only problem is that I don't know how to use the dern thing. How exactly do you go about checking the air filter?

dpantazis

Reaction score
umm, check your manual?

if you need the manual, download it from fleet.ford.com

otherwise, look for the plunger to be in the red zone? if in doubt, push it to reset it then take the truck for a drive... recheck?

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the manual says is to check it. Wasn't sure if you had to hold the button down or not. I guess I was confused because my gauge was not reading much at all (meaning that the filter is clean) so nothing happened when I hit the reset button.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will buy your old filters lol I have 30k on mine and it doesn't show a restriction

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58