Really rough idle on cold startup

fmotorsport410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys my 6.0 when started cold runs so rough. It does not die but man it sounds awful rough. When it warms up concern goes away. Only runs like this when it cold. Im thinking the injectors are having a problem.. Any suggestions.. 6.0 44k with diablo predator, full exhaust..no kitty

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rough idle is normal are you plugging it in at night? it will help, dont let it idle very long when it is cold you need to get a load on the motor to get up to temp as fast as possible but be easy on the throttle, if it is really cold you should step down to a 10W-30 motor oil.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i plug mine in when it drops below about 40, but mine runs rough too, you probably have nothing to worry about. is your truck still under warranty? fill out your sig so we know what you got.

ken

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the injectors are giving you a problem. If there is a problem it is probably a bad glowplug. (or two) Most diesels sound rough when they are started in colder weather. A 5w40 or 15w40 oil is good to about 5*F any colder and you should change to a lighter grade of oil it will help alot with the rough startup. The cut off point for glowplug starting is around 0*F any colder you absolutely need the blockheater plugged in. I start to plug mine in when the temps start to dip below 32*F.

fmotorsport410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
how long do you leave it plugged in

how long do you leave it plugged in

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally plug mine in at night for startup in the morning but a couple of hours is enough. Alot of people I know put theirs on an outdoor timer.

fmotorsport410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dumb ??

patrick , does my 03 come with a block heater. I did find the plug on the passenger side front grille. Doest it hurt to leave it plugged in all night

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
No it will not hurt a thing just a little in the wallet with long cold spells. Yesterday morning -5 at the house the truck kicked once or twice then it died. On the second try it started up but has been giving one really good surge at start up evertime I do not plug in (forget)

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
last time my Ex was in to the stealer they put in a new program which cycles the injectors for 30 sec. after you shut it down to clean any fuel out of them. It may just be me but the start light goes off a lot quicker and it starts much faster and the rough cold idle isn't as bad. I never plug mine in anymore after last yr when my buddies 04 plug caught on fire and melted his front bumper.:doh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58