Rear Axle Seal Blown Again!!

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
This will be the third axle seal going on the truck this weekend...(4 if you count the stock seal)...and by the way this is in a matter of about 6 months! I am tired of changing these bad boys (but have gotten quite quick at it :cool: )...I am not sure what I am doing wrong?!?! I tried using the Ford torque spec on the ratcheting nut (which seemed a bit tight to me ~55 ft/lbs) So on the next go around I tried what a ford mechanic told me which was just tighten the ratcheting nut until there is no play left in the wheel, then give it a couple of extra clicks...Did that and now its leeking like crazy again. The seals I'm using are Federal-Mogul seals...should I find something different?? Any ideas on what might be blowing this side out like this??? (Same side - driver side, everytime)

Thanks,
Casey

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
check the rear end where the seal rides for burrs.if you find any use a piece of oiled emery cloth to remove them.make sure you drive the new seal in straight.

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
The seals I'm using are Federal-Mogul seals...should I find something different??

Casey, not sure that the seals are the same as the f-350 rear in my dually, but there was an upgrade to the rear seal from motorcraft. The seal (rubber portion) turns with the seat on the upgrade unit, instead of wearing away on the old style, if you have a burr....You can get it @ International for a much cheaper price than the ford dealer....

binderman

slacker
Reaction score
just a thought but have you checked the breather? alot of times they get plugged and wont vent when the axle warms up

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Will check the vent tonight when I replace the seal...My only thought on that is that why would it keep blowing out the NEW seal rather than the stocker on the other side??

Jim- This seal is the same style as the ungraded one from Ford and as I understand it a good solid seal...I got another today from the parts store so I'll see what I see when I get the hub off... Any more comments or ideas keep em coming!!

Thanks for the advice guys!
-Casey

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are putting it in the correct direction? Spring goes to the oil side, if it is a typical seal.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
PSDfreak said:
The side of the seal marked "Oil Side" should face AWAY from the differential, not TOWARD the differential, right??

Thanks,
Casey
Oil Side should be the side in contact with the oil, which would be towards the differential.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14