rear brakes locking up on light braking.why?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lately ive noticed that sometimes my rear brakes will lock up when i just ease onto the brakes,doesnt always do it though,i first noticed it a couple weeks ago when i was leaving work,i was cruisin up to the main road so i start to brake and the rear wheels lock up,no abs light or anything.like i said it doesnt always do it.anyone know if this could be signs of rear brake shoes needing replaced?when they lock up i can feel the brake pedal pulsating.any ideas?:dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
warped drums, or wheel seals leaking.

oil-wet pads will lock up easy, and warped drums will also if they are lined up right and both grab at the same time. you say the pedal is pulsing, so id check the drums first.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but it doesnt pulsate all the time,only when the brakes are acting up,like i said before its not consistent,it isnt everytime i drive it,thats what has me confused.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
They are either out of adjustment or have oil on the shoes. Have you pulled the wheel yet and taken the drum off?

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Is it usually on the first few brake applications? These trucks lock up the rears hard the first few brake applies if it is slightly humid or you've driven through water, etc etc...

Your drums flash rust while they set and the rust makes for very grabby brakes the first few applies, usually by the third apply it is knocked off of my truck and the brakes work fine.

Like the others said though, if your wheel cylinders are leaking brake fluid or if you have a leaking axle seal, they will lock up also. To be safe I'd pull the wheels and drums, have fun they are probably stuck pretty good. If the pads aren't oil soaked, knock the glaze off your drums with some crocus cloth, clean up the drum and brakes with some brake kleen and adjust em up. Unless you haul alot, your rear brakes will last a very long time, the braking is devided 70\30, the front getting most of the work, and if you are empty the rears do very little unless you have a leveling or lift kit to put more weight to the back...., this is also the very reason the rears lockup so easy. The fronts don't have any anti lock system at all and you probably will never lock em up unless you are on snow and ice or dirt roads...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14