Rear Diff Choice

JeffHK454

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got a 2000 F350 4x4 with PSD and a open diff. It's got a 6" lift and 35" BFG MT's and looks the part of a capable off-road truck, but looks can be deceiving!

I was looking for opinions or experience with various aftermarket limited slips or lockers.

I was considering a Loc-Rite or PowerTrax because of there super easy installation and affordability.

Would a "locker" like these last in a heavy truck that sees about 20K miles a year?

Thanks, Jeff

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
That depends. If you are doing mostly light offroading, either will be fine. I have a Detroit Locker and have for about 8 years in two trucks. It made not to break. I love it. The only weakness(if you can call it that) it that they use the OE Diff case. Detroit uses a new case. But I had an insertable locker in a Chevy Blazer and did some serious offroading and never came close to breaking it. And they are very easy to install.

JeffHK454

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes , I'm a big fan of the Detroit locker also. I have a rock crawler with Detroit's front and rear and they work great. My SD see's very limited off road use but in 2wd if I get off my driveway with one tire, it's stuck! This truck is my toy hauler, wood getter and daily driver.

I was not questioning if these diffs could stand up to my SD in hardcore off road use but could they last in a daily driver. I'm sure you have seen how a Loc-Rite or Power-Trax works with the spring loaded drive flanges, there's a lot of " metal rubbing over metal" in these diffs.

My offroad'r is also a Blazer with a 454 and a new this year ORD doubler, very sweet low gears:thumbs

Thanks, Jeff

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
If you have any doubts. Go with the Detroit. But I've never heard of anyone having any problems with the Powertrax or Lockrite.Sounds like either one would be a good choice for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58