Question Rear Diff Oil Change out

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck a year ago and I want to change the rear differential oil and inspect things. I was wondering what everyone recommends, I like using the motorcraft products (I figure Ford makes them for the trucks so it must be just what they need.) and does anyone have any steps or recommendations to doing this job. Thanks:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your truck looks to be more than a year old, so I would change the diff oil for peace of mind. Look in your owners manual for the right weight of oil. I think it is 75W 90 syn oil for all of the diffs and an friction additive is you have posi. Ford has all of these. Have fun...

Dave :)

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is definitely more than a year old (2005) but I have only had it for a year. Thanks DavBen for your advise I will definitely change out for peace of mind. Does it use a gasket or just RTV??

atk

Reaction score
RTV will work fine. 75w140 is the proper oil for the rear diff....like Dave said, use the additive if you have a limited slip....

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good time to get a 08 finned alum cover from riff raff diesel for 60 bucks
the dealer fluids will cost about 90 bucks and your diff will /should have tags on it for the fluid and whether ift is ls

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg