Rear Diff Temperatures?!?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm,

Since you have an OBS as well, what fluid are you running? The book calls for 80W90, but I was thinking of putting in 75W140.....What do you think?

Also, I will be using Royal Purple.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Crumm,

Since you have an OBS as well, what fluid are you running?
I have ran both Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-90 and Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140. As far as gear lube goes I don't think the rear-end cares.

I also add the Ford OEM limited slip friction modifier when I change it but I don't know that it does anything or not since the Mobil oil has them in it..
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 and 75W-90 contain special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't add it if you use Royal Purple .
It will be to much and your
pos-a-track will not work as well.
At least that's the way it is on my 06.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont need any friction modifires with top end oils like Royal or Amsoil. unless you get chatter.

the 08 cover will fit all 10.5 10.5 rears and powerstroke shop is the best deal. on them but i would recommend getting some nice stainless bolts (longer) and washers as it is thicker than the stamped steel one.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I just did the change and used the RP fluid and put on the 08 diff cover. Works and looks great.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Crumm, what are you doing to polish it? How, that is. Take a pic too so I can see if I wanna be like you.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you coat it with zoops or something or it will tarnish in a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58