Rear differential sensor?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the stock rear differential cover to the finned type diff cover found on the 2008 Superduty's.

While underneath my X I saw a sensor on top of the differential pumpkin with a wire going to it.

What does this sensor do? I thought it might be a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but aren't those in the tail shaft of the transmission?

Could this be a temp sensor?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Mike that'll be the VSS on top of the pumpkin on the forward side.

There's an ABS sensor at each wheel.

atk

Reaction score
Mike that'll be the VSS on top of the pumpkin on the forward side.

There's an ABS sensor at each wheel.

are the X`S diferent then pick up`s? my truck has 4wheel anti lock and it don`t have abs sensor at each rear wheel(just the sensor(VSS) in the rear difF, which also has to do with anti-locks). it does have sensor`s at each front wheel....-popcorn

CHPMustang

Reaction score
One things for sure is the VSS is on the pumpkin for the Excursion,the SuperDuty trucks I'm not entirely positive.

I'll have to check the Ford manual to get the specifics. Technically the VSS is part of the ABS system but it also signals the speed to the speedometer.When the plug on my X for the VSS dislodged the OD light flashed and the speedometer did not function.

My feelings won't be hurt if I'm told my info is incorrect :D

atk

Reaction score
One things for sure is the VSS is on the pumpkin for the Excursion,the SuperDuty trucks I'm not entirely positive.

I'll have to check the Ford manual to get the specifics. Technically the VSS is part of the ABS system but it also signals the speed to the speedometer.When the plug on my X for the VSS dislodged the OD light flashed and the speedometer did not function.

My feelings won't be hurt if I'm told my info is incorrect :D

your info is correct, but i never said it wasn`t the VSS... all i was was trying to say it also had to do with the anti-lock brake system, aswell as the signal for the speedo(like you stated)and yes the trucks are the same....:D

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The sensor on the rear is the vss/rear abs sensor. these vehicles have a three channel abs system. One sensor on each front wheel, one sensor for both rear wheels. Three sensors = three channel system.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why only a three channel system?

Is it because we have a traction lok rear and theorewttically both wheels should be going the same speed or Ford was cheap?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The sensor on the rear is the vss/rear abs sensor. these vehicles have a three channel abs system. One sensor on each front wheel, one sensor for both rear wheels. Three sensors = three channel system.
Interesting info indeed:) Would that somewhat mean that we have 2 1/2 or 3 wheel ABS? I know there's only one VSS ring that's signaling the VSS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58