Rear End Change

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, It is a lot more involved than changing the ring and pinion. You need to reshim the carrier and the pinion. Knowlege in this area is well worth the money. You can wreck a gearset very quickly. If you don''t know how to do it, pay someone who has the knowlege.

Dave

dieselmec

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
3.55 rear end

does this give you more pulling power? ihave a 1992 f250 with 91000 solid truck i pulled a 30 ft jayco to arz. had a little trouble on some grades hoping the change would help:confused:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I assume your 92 is a 7.3L IDI? Auto or manual transmission? What RPM's were you turning?

Going to 4:10's will keep your RPM's higher no doubt which will help you on a long grade if pulling, but you will suffer in fuel economy for everyday driving.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My experience (which is little) with the IDI's is that they pull better in a lower RPM range. The IDI will not be ther first truck to the top of the hill, but garuntee yourself, it will make the top of the hill. Drop down a gear and throttle down to about 2000 RPM's and drink a coke while your IDI does the work.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
3.73's might be a better option. They are a compromise between the two gear sets. You will be at 2000 rpms at 70 mph, which is just where you want to be.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Yes, It is a lot more involved than changing the ring and pinion. You need to reshim the carrier and the pinion. Knowlege in this area is well worth the money. You can wreck a gearset very quickly. If you don''t know how to do it, pay someone who has the knowlege.

Dave

Just for the heck of it................. heres a good read on changing gearsets.

Read here.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14