Rear end mods.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay first off, get out of the gutter... :roflmao

Anybody consider or change the rear limited slip carrier for something that actually works? I'm looking at some eaton units, maybe even an electric locker. I got stuck on the pretty much level with one tire off the road. I wouldn't have minded locking the hubs in, but there was a skunk that I was looking to avoid which was the root of the whole problem.

Ford's half assed check is if the vehicle can move with one tire off the road it's okay. It's a bad joke...

Suggestions?

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat right now because my LSD is gone, and i will be putting a Detroit Locker in mine. I'm going with a Detroit because i know when i need power to both wheels that is what I will be getting with a Detroit Locker. I have had Detroits in trucks before and i still own a truck with a Detroit, so if you have any questions let me know.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detroits are great units. They can be a little tricky on ice and depending on how hard you drive (mostly corner) they can be hard on tires. :burnit

I've hear a lot of bad things about the Eaton e-locker such as not holding the lock very well under heavy load, several recalls, and stop shipements. Still better than the clutch based LS.
If you want a selectable, I suggest going with ARB.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information.. I was thinking about one of the electric units, not the one with the motor hanging off the back, but the electromagnetic unit with what would look like a temperature sensor set of wires running into the case.

ARB? is that another detroit unit, or someone else? I know Aurburn Gear makes some nice units, but I haven't looked to them for any truck type units yet...

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
arb air locker is what id run. detriots can be streeted but they are a pain when towing.

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
Detroits can eat your tires up if you don't know how to drive one but iff you do they will wear just like normal. When driving on ice i have found that being easy on the go pedal makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.arb.com.au/air_locker_locking_differentials.php

ARB is an Australian company. Check out the link for more info. If you go this route, you'll need a compressor. I don't like the ARB compressor so I have a ViAir and an small air tank. This is on my jeep, not my truck, but the connections are all the same. If you want more info, PM me.

The megnetic one you are referring to is the one I have heard doesn't hold under heavy load. There are also some gear driven limited slip units out there (can't recall brands right now). I know a few people running them and they seem to hold up OK. You won't have to rebuild the clutch packs, but it's still a limited slip...

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Detroit Tru-Trac. I'm not real sure on the technicals, but it has some sort of a gear mesh instead of the clutch packs. I planned on getting this one soon.

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
Well I got my Detroit Locker in and Mag-Hytec cover on and I couldn't be happier. I love the performance of the Detroit and the looks of the diff cover, if any one is thinking of getting either go for it you wont regret it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58